WTB: Series 1/E12 early fuel level sending unit

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts wanted.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

amehlinger

WTB: Series 1/E12 early fuel level sending unit

Post by amehlinger »

Looking for an early style fuel level sending unit from a Series 1 car. The sending unit has 6 - 8mm bolts holding the flange to the tank just as the later style, however my car has no in-tank pump. Needing part no. 5 from the attached realoem diagram. Thanks!

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=16_0014
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: WTB: Series 1/E12 early fuel level sending unit

Post by bpoliakoff »

What's wrong with yours? I was lucky enough to find a new one at a reasonable price many years back. My problem was the screen at the bottom had ruptured. I have given a lot of thought to that particular issue over the years and if that is your problem I believe a "sock of very fine mesh can literally be put over it and the seam sewn together for a tight fit. If it's electrical I I would think there is a seam that could be pried apart. If not you can cut the tube to see what is going on. It could be no more than a stuck float. The tube can be put together by fitting a large hose such as a radiator hose over both sides and clamping it.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
amehlinger

Post by amehlinger »

bpoliakoff wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:30 am What's wrong with yours? I was lucky enough to find a new one at a reasonable price many years back. My problem was the screen at the bottom had ruptured. I have given a lot of thought to that particular issue over the years and if that is your problem I believe a "sock of very fine mesh can literally be put over it and the seam sewn together for a tight fit. If it's electrical I I would think there is a seam that could be pried apart. If not you can cut the tube to see what is going on. It could be no more than a stuck float. The tube can be put together by fitting a large hose such as a radiator hose over both sides and clamping it.
I'm currently trying to clean it now as I found out last night that prices on new senders are $300. It has been intermittent since I got the car running so decided to dig into it. Took the whole thing apart and found that the inside looks like it was recovered from the Titanic wreckage.. I've since found a tutorial on firstfives.org on how to recover a finicky sending unit, hopefully I can repair this one and get it working with my ultrasonic cleaner and some luck!
Sharkski

Post by Sharkski »

If it doesn't pan out we have a few available out of San Diego.

Faster response at :

[email protected]

Thanks