Topsider Fluid Extractor

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
clipper47

Topsider Fluid Extractor

Post by clipper47 »

I am reaching the time when clambering under my cars to remove the oil drain plug is becoming a chore. I recently saw a video made by a very respected Mercedes Benz technician who highly recommended the Topsider Fluid Extractor after demonstration its use on a vintage Mercedes Benz engine.He demonstrated that the extractor method actually removed more oil than draining. with the plug removal method at least on the Mercedes engine. I ordered a Topsider and decided the first car to test in on would be my 1985 635CSi. I warmed up the engine just long enough to get the Castrol GTX 20w50 oil warm as per the instruction and pumped up the vacuum tank before inserting the narrow tube down the dipstick hole until it hit the bottom and then lifted the tube a few centimetres. When I released the clamp to allow the oil to flow it immediately began to draw oil into the storage tank. I knew it would be a slow process as the diameter of the extraction tube is small so I attended to another project in the garage until I. began to hear a slurping sound as air began to be drawn into the tube indicating the job was complete. I lifted the tank to gauge the amount and to my disappointment I found that there was less than two litres in the tank. I tried playing with the tube by moving it around in the oil pan and managed to scavenge a bit more but not enough to matter. So my test on an M30B34 engine was not a success.The oil pan configuration obviously does not allow the extractor tube to reach the bottom of the oil pan. The Topsider certainly worked as advertised but it doesn't work with all cars as the company does mention.
Dave

Re: Topsider Fluid Extractor

Post by emac »

I would suggest looking into a lift. Lots of options out there for all kinds of garages and the prices are reasonable. I have had a two post lift for about 20 years. I dont know how I used to change clutches and stuff laying on my back.
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Thanks for this information, was to good to be true then :(
That's too bad as it looks like a useful tool.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
BenM635i

Post by BenM635i »

Have one (think its made by 'laser') that I use on the van and daily driver, definitely a useful tool to have.

Not tried it on the M635 but for all modern cars it seems to work well - believe this is what the main dealers use these days too. Works best with cars that have a top fitting cartridge oil filter and so no need whatsoever to get your knees dirty.
'85 M635 #160
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

BenM635i wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:55 am Have one (think its made by 'laser') that I use on the van and daily driver, definitely a useful tool to have.

Not tried it on the M635 but for all modern cars it seems to work well - believe this is what the main dealers use these days too. Works best with cars that have a top fitting cartridge oil filter and so no need whatsoever to get your knees dirty.
I have a Mercedes 190E 2.6 with a filter on top which I hope the Topsider will work on.
Dave
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

emac wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:46 am I would suggest looking into a lift. Lots of options out there for all kinds of garages and the prices are reasonable. I have had a two post lift for about 20 years. I dont know how I used to change clutches and stuff laying on my back.
A lift would be really nice and I have considered it but I also use the garage for other purposes and it is only 20'x20' Thanks for the suggestion.
Dave

Post by emac »

Fully understand how garage space is a premium! Especially her side. Quick jack may be something to check into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMVVHOXJ6Y