1985 CSiA - the ongoing saga

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

1985 CSiA - the ongoing saga

Post by Jlc »

So, I put in a new radio and speakers - Kickers up front and Retrosounds in rear so as to keep stock look. Decent sound for under $300 total. Of course, the radio antenna does not extend so that is on the to do list.

Fixed the AC blower transistor - soldered in new transistor, resistor and thermal cut out and it works fine. I see why they mounted it where they did - it gets hot enough outside of the cold AC air to cutout after a minute or so, seems to work fine when exposed to cold ac for cooling.

I bought a used chip/MAF combo, did the mod and now car won't run. Idles for a few seconds and the dies. Checked voltages and the MAF sensor voltage did not have for the power on non-running to idle voltage. Found MAF part number (F00C2G2040 ) but all Bosch parts are 5 pronged, not 4 prong. Seems VWs have same part number but prongs are also 5 not 4. Yipee. Troubleshooting continues.

On a happier note, I added 5 point TS Safety drivers to my tool collection and my Bronzit touchup paint came. No just need to get car running again.

Meanwhile, my daily driver sounds like it has a bad wheel bearing; after just doing a rear brake job where I learned, after replacing one caliper I thought was frozen, Malibu rear calipers don't press to compress, you have to turn the piston. Oh joy...
85 635CSi Bronzit