My 1986 Shark Project & Introduction

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Papillon

My 1986 Shark Project & Introduction

Post by Papillon »

Hello,
My name is Doug. I am located near Cleveland Ohio.
I love older European cars with BMW being favorite. I recently purchased a 1986 635CSi with 110K miles. I found it in North Carolina and drove it back to Ohio. Very nice road trip without any issues. Car is all original except the wheels. It did come with the original set of wheels that I cleaned up and will eventually get new TRX Michelin tires for it. I like to keep it as original as possible. Car has manual transmission, sport seats, original radio etc. It's in pretty nice shape without any rust. It has clean CarFax history.
Paint is very good except the sunroof has paint cracking. Front spoiler has minor cracks that need to be fixed and repainted.
Leather is very nice and dash has no cracks at all. All the power seat functions work. Air conditioning works as well.
It runs well with some minor start up issues when cold. Discovered that the fuel pump in the tank is not working. It is original pump. Ordered new pump and waiting to install it.

Other items that I did was to change the engine, transmission and differential oils. Adjust valves clearance, replaced spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotors. Cleaned ICV and checked function. Thanks to the videos from forum member "slownrusty" I installed Ireland Engineering short shift kit. It makes a big difference with the gear changes. No more long and sloppy shifting. Overall this car is not a huge project but enough stuff needs to be done to keep me busy. I really like how it drives and handles. In the future I will need to replace both main door seals. I already learned a lot from this forum and hopefully I can contribute something to it.
Attachments
86 BMW 635CSi 8.jpg
86 BMW 635CSi 8.jpg (117.63 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
86 BMW 635CSi 1.jpg
86 BMW 635CSi 1.jpg (194.81 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
635sharknose

Re: My 1986 Shark Project & Introduction

Post by 635sharknose »

Welcome here! Very nice car :D
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Lovely car , I wish you much enjoyment with it .
Don
1981 635 series 1
Papillon

Post by Papillon »

I received my in tank fuel pump few days ago. It was not hard to replace. I also had a new spare Bosh main in line fuel pump. Old pump had good pressure and flow rate but was starting to make winy noises so I figured might as well replace it at the same time. I also installed new BMW fuel filter. I have a QuickJack so it was easier to work under the car properly raised. I am glad to report that my car starts up on first crank after sitting overnight. Before it took 3-5 seconds of cranking before it would start. BMW In line fuel tank was expensive ($420 from eEuroparts) but well worth it. I read that there is less expensive option but reliability is not great. Now my car has better acceleration and definitely has more power.
You can verify if your in tank fuel pump is working by opening access panel in the trunk and placing a screw driver or wood stick on top and on your ear. You can hear the pump buzzing if working good.