Steering wheel replacement

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Elrond

Steering wheel replacement

Post by Elrond »

Hi all,
I have found my first E24 (currently loving my 2nd one) from this forum and reading it for quite a while, but finally I have a question to which I can't find the answer.
I have a 89 635Csi, with airbag steering wheel, which I absolutely hate, it is not a good look for this Era car (in my opinion), I have removed the steering wheel and found that the airbag is bypassed with a resistor, so any moral obligations have been dealt with by the previous owner.
I would like to install a Nardi (wooden) steering wheel or a m-tech 1, but I am completely confused which flange I should use for the Nardi or if the M tech will fit the airbag steering column.
If someone with an airbag has changed the steering wheel, please share the knowledge/problems,/suitable steering wheels.

Regards

Georgi
GAflyer

Re: Steering wheel replacement

Post by GAflyer »

Hi Georgi,

I replaced the airbag wheel on my 1988 M6 some years ago. I was concerned that an airbag manufactured prior to 1988 might be unsafe, either firing unnecessarily, or causing injury if it did inflate due to aged materials. So while I also did not like the wheel design, I put on an alternative wheel for that airbag concern.

Most BMW steering wheels called MTech I or MTechII compatible with E24 E28 E30 E32 E34 will work, and I have one of each type and change between them on occasion. Both are available from eBay and other sources. For your '89 be sure that the wheel is specified as "fine-spline" on which the threads on the hub are narrower (more ridges around the radius of the hub spline). In addition, either wheel will be a bit closer to the turn signal stalk, even when you install some needed spacers to the steering column to push it out a little (required because of the length of steering column threads.) As a result, you will bump your fingers against the turn signal occasionally, but it is not limiting and you get used to it.

Sorry, I do not have experience with the Nardi wheel adapters. Perhaps some other owner will provide that information.
Rob Welch

1988 M6 Black/ Lotus
2000 528i Orient Blue/ Tan
1981 911SC Targa Wine Red/ Gray
Steve M6

Post by Steve M6 »

Hi Georgi,

I have a wooden Nardi Steering wheel that was installed on my '88 M6. It has the fine splines, black spokes. It should work for your car. If interested I could post or send you photos.
'86 635CSi 5-sp
'88 M6 Canadian
'03 530i 5-sp - ordered new, now gone, victim of someone else's spin-out on I880
'02 530i 5-sp - now my daily driver - finally replaced my original 530i
'96 Ford F-150, 5-sp too
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Do any of the wheels mentioned offer smaller diameter? - like 360mm?
Elrond

Post by Elrond »

tmoretta wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:34 pm Do any of the wheels mentioned offer smaller diameter? - like 360mm?
Nardi does have 360mm, but it is on the way of the rev meter and the speedo.