1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by Jlc »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:56 am Hope to have it back on the road by next year. Turned the plates in a few years back so not get get charged back taxes. Registration here in Hawaii is a rip off. Car is almost 40 years old and the registration is going to cost $460.00
Ouch. Mine costs more for the "Mail Fee" of $1 (even if done on line) and vanity tag of $20 than the actual tax.
85 635CSi Bronzit
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:56 am
My later issue is the OBC. I changed the fuse and soldered on a big tail with fuse holder so if I have another issue with the fuse blowing, it’s way easier just to pop it out and change it. It seems to be functioning, however the light (buttons do not light up). Checked the bulb and it appears fine so not sure why it’s not on. Even when I turn the dash lights on and off, only the display works, but the buttons do not.

Aloha’z.
The OBC computer has a bulb at the top center and a bunch of optic fibers that carry the light to the keys on the keypad. I took mine apart once trying to diagnose the issue. My issues turned out to be the actual computer and not the head unit.

In any case, here are aa few pics of the innards of the OBC.
Disassembling OBC
Disassembling OBC
OBC.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2579 times
And a clear picture of the bulb mount and how the fibers carry the light.
Optic fibers carrying light
Optic fibers carrying light
oBc Open.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2579 times
I've actually replaced the head unit because I had a red LED segment burn out. It was easier to get a used on on eBay than to attempt to fix one of the LED digits. Now I have a spare if I ever need it.

back to your issue. If you can verify that the bulb is getting power and lighting up, it should light up the keypad.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

songzunhuang wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:51 am
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:56 am
My later issue is the OBC. I changed the fuse and soldered on a big tail with fuse holder so if I have another issue with the fuse blowing, it’s way easier just to pop it out and change it. It seems to be functioning, however the light (buttons do not light up). Checked the bulb and it appears fine so not sure why it’s not on. Even when I turn the dash lights on and off, only the display works, but the buttons do not.

Aloha’z.
The OBC computer has a bulb at the top center and a bunch of optic fibers that carry the light to the keys on the keypad. I took mine apart once trying to diagnose the issue. My issues turned out to be the actual computer and not the head unit.

In any case, here are aa few pics of the innards of the OBC.
OBC.png

And a clear picture of the bulb mount and how the fibers carry the light.
oBc Open.png

I've actually replaced the head unit because I had a red LED segment burn out. It was easier to get a used on on eBay than to attempt to fix one of the LED digits. Now I have a spare if I ever need it.

back to your issue. If you can verify that the bulb is getting power and lighting up, it should light up the keypad.
Aloha! Yep, checked everything. 12vdc running across the bridge, changed and checked the bulbs. Even changed out the OBC computer and OBC display. Same issue, no change. I’m kinda over it now because I don’t really need that function, was just cool to have everything working how I remembered from back in the 80’s.

Have a work around planned for getting light into that area. Not original, but won’t be able to tell the difference once everything is put back together.

I’ve come to realize that these cars are a lot like my VW’s, there is a “work around” to everything. May not be original, but it works. :D

Aloha’z
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Upper Control Arms, Battery, Differential Oil

Post by songzunhuang »

Catching up on the work I've done on the car over the past 2 weekends.

Upper Control Arms:
I received the part from 1A Auto. Those folks make great videos online and also offer a limited lifetime warranty. Recall, they were also the only place I could locate a complete set of upper control arms, sometimes called thrust arms. They came very well packaged and I also noticed the parts were marked "Made in Turkey", which was the same as the Meyle lower arms delivered a few weeks earlier - interesting. Also a few other observations, these arms have a slightly more dramatic bend than the original BMW part. They feel hefty and the rubber bushing is very different. In the picture below you can see that the bushing has more and thicker rubber. The BMW part had a plastic insert. When I removed the insert, there was a much more pronounced gap in the bushing. Also note that the red poly boot on the BMW arm was something that I installed only a week ago. That was a waste of money. Overall the 1A Auto replacement looks to be of very good quality. The casting and machine work and finish look very good. Time will tell.
1A Auto vs BMW part
1A Auto vs BMW part
Control arm compare.png (761.42 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
On the passenger side there's a heat shield protecting the bushing side of the control arm. You'll definitely need to remove it to pull the bolt all the way out. Also, in this picture, the shield has not been cleaned up. It was all black from oil and grime, but it's all shiny silver now!
Need to remove to access
Need to remove to access
Heat Shield.png (750.99 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
After installation, final tightening on the bushing side is done with the car loaded. I put everything back together, the wheels back on and then drove the car up on ramps before crawling under and tightening the bolts. One difficulty was that I couldn't get my torque wrench in there to tighten to the 96 ft/lbs specified. There just wasn't enough clearance. I just had to use my regular socket wrench and tighten with all the strength I could muster using the normal handle. I'll check all the bolts again next weekend.

New Battery:
The last 2 times I started the car, I noticed that it turned over kind of slowly. I once that to charge the battery a little before it would crank. I realized that I have had the same battery since 2015 with over 50,000 miles of driving. I figured it was time to get a new battery as I don't want to get stranded. I got the exact same brand (from O-Reilly) as it has served me well. It was $212. After I installed it, it cranked very energetically and I noticed that my battery charging light now goes off almost immediately after the car starts. I used to have to rev it a little to make it go out.
Lasted almost 7 years
Lasted almost 7 years
New Battery.png (720.09 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Final Drive or Differential Oil:
Finally, something had been bugging me. I've never changed the final drive oil on the car. For all I knew, it was the original oil in there. Well, it just took a 10mm allen wrench and a psuedo breaker bar (those plugs were tight!) to remove the plugs in order to change the fluid. What drained out wasn't as nasty as I expected. Remove both plugs to drain and then replace the bottom plug. Fill from top hole until it starts to come out of the top hole, then replace the top plug. In any case, I refilled with 80W/90 GL5 gear oil. I should be good for a long, long time.
Wasn't too bad.
Wasn't too bad.
Diff oil.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2539 times
So how is everything? Well, it's been over 150 miles of driving and everything feels tight. I'll need to get it aligned as I have a slight pull to the right, but the shakes are gone. I think I may have licked the vibration issue. But wait! Now I hear a squeaking sound from the passenger front suspension as I turn the wheel. I think my spring bushing may be the culprit. So, I'm probably not going to align the car yet. I'll get those spring bushings changed and then it'll be alignment time. The fun continues.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

The bush in the BMW arm, the one with the green insert is a Meyle HD bush. These are like a half way house between stock rubber and full poly.
They are available as inserts and they are generally regarded as a good upgrade (to rubber) - press in. I'm currently running these in Lemforder arms, which PP recommended at the time, having previously had poly bushes which went hard and took on an oval shape.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

jps635 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:12 am The bush in the BMW arm, the one with the green insert is a Meyle HD bush. These are like a half way house between stock rubber and full poly.
They are available as inserts and they are generally regarded as a good upgrade (to rubber) - press in. I'm currently running these in Lemforder arms, which PP recommended at the time, having previously had poly bushes which went hard and took on an oval shape.
Thanks for the info. I suspected that those bushings had been replaced before. I would have just replaced the bushings, except for 2 major reasons. One, I couldn't find anyone with replacement Meyle HD bushings in stock. Two, the dust boots of the balljoints were severely compromised, I tried to clean them out well, reapply lube and replaced the boots with those red poly upgrades. However, although the ball joints didn't seem to have any play, they were not moving completely smoothly. There was some scratchiness in there. I kept the original arms in case I can figure a way to restore them one day. I have one of those sonic parts cleaners and I may give that a go. As it is, my old spare parts bin continues to grow...

BTW, I tried to get Lemforder arms, but as you may have guessed, I couldn't find the pair. All the parts houses I checked only had one side.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Everything is working!

Post by songzunhuang »

It has been about a month and several tanks of gas. The car is running great after reflowing the solder joints. With that and the new front suspension parts, it's doing better than ever. It runs and drives very smoothly. I've been slowly tweaking the tie rods to get my alignment the way I want it. I didn't want to pay for another alignment already as I am still considering the replacement of the spring bushings of the front shocks. I hear squeaky noises when I turn hard right. Anyhow, just wanted to capture my experience so far.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Song, look into "life time alignment". Well worth it, I purchase the "life time" when I first got the car 2014 and used the service 4 or 5 times, just to make sure the alignment was correct. Roger
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

"Reading" the Spark Plugs

Post by songzunhuang »

I've seen many articles on "reading" the spark plugs. The idea being that you can look at your plugs and tell how your car is running. It's always fascinated me because every time I looked at my plugs, I always thought they were carbon fouled. The tips were very black and that just didn't seem right, but the car seemed to run ok. Here's a picture of the last set of Bosch plugs after 25K miles. Note that the far left plug has already been steel brushed in this picture. The others show more about what's going on. Basically, this is a sign of a car running rich.
Old plugs.
Old plugs.
Bosch Out.png (910.77 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
After I reflowed my ECU, the car is running so much better. Smoother and no more stumbling. I recently took out the Densos that I swapped in last time and this is what I see now. Nice even burn, no carbon buildup with a light tan/brown coloring. This is what a correct fuel mixture looks like.
After 25K miles.
After 25K miles.
Densos.png (982.48 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
So I wondered if my car would do any better with the Bosch plugs back in there. They are the OEM recommended plugs in the right temperature range. So I cleaned off the Bosch plugs really well, gapped them to 0.030" and re-installed them. Here's the "before" picture. I think they have a lot of life left in them.
Cleaned up old plugs and reinstalled.
Cleaned up old plugs and reinstalled.
Bosch Cleanup.png (979.79 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
I'll report my findings after I run these for a while. In closing, I have a helpful hint when swapping plugs. Take out the air cleaner and air flow metering unit. It makes it so easy to work on the plugs. In this picture, you can see the assembly on the ground to the right. It's just 2 nuts/washers securing the air cleaner assembly, then loosen the band clamp holding the air flow metering unit to the rubber accordion boot, unplug the harness to the air flow meter, and then remove the whole thing. There's so much space!
Remove air cleaner and air flow metering unit for easy access.
Remove air cleaner and air flow metering unit for easy access.
Plug change.png (1.68 MiB) Viewed 2252 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unplanned Bodywork - Yup, Accident.

Post by songzunhuang »

It is with a heavy heart that I post these pictures. Today on the way to work, a white C-Class ahead of me on the freeway slammed on their brakes to avoid a car ahead of them. I slammed on my brakes but started to skid. When I realized I wasn't going to stop in time, I tried to veer right since the lane was clear, but alas, the car ahead of me also veered right too avoid the car ahead of him! He missed the car ahead of him by inches. I however, contacted his rear right passenger side. I was probably still moving around 15-20 mph when it hit. And here are the results.
Front Driver Side view
Front Driver Side view
BMW Accident 1.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
Front Passenger side view
Front Passenger side view
BMW Accident 2.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
Side view
Side view
BMW Accident 3.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
We pulled off to the side of the freeway before calling CHP. The car runs and drives, but the airdam and fender are rubbing the tire and there's a rhythmic clanking sound, probably the cooling fan. I can't open the hood as it got pushed back about an inch
Scene of accident
Scene of accident
BMW CHP.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 2215 times
So I had the car towed to a body shop nearby - towing is not cheap.
The shop will put the car on a frame machine to make sure all is well. Meanwhile, the search for parts begins.

It's so annoying that I just got the car running so well!
The good news is that I'm feeling ok (just a slight sore neck) and all this is imminently repairable so the long process begins. On the bright side, my hood needed new paint anyway. Did you see the spots of clear coat that was failing? What a way to get my paint refreshed.

I will have the car good as new...stay tuned.
Last edited by songzunhuang on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

Wow, so sorry to see that!
Glad you’re ok, and hope you get it fixed up soon.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

You know, normally when I see you've posted another update I get excited and eager to see what you've been up to, but this one made me queasy and sad. :(

I'm glad you're going ahead with repairs. So many would just give up and part the car or, worse, send it to the scrap yard.

Good luck, Song. I'll be cheering you on from afar.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Jubilados wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:23 am Wow, so sorry to see that!
Glad you’re ok, and hope you get it fixed up soon.
Thank you. Took an Advil and feel all better.
It'll take a while to fix as I am looking on Real-OEM to understand all the parts I'll need. There are a lot of bits in the nose. I've been in touch with Ralph, who is a lifesaver when it comes to parts for our cars. One shocking thing is that the body shop asked if I just wanted to paint the whole car. I was curious so I asked, how much?

He said $15K. I said - no way!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:25 am You know, normally when I see you've posted another update I get excited and eager to see what you've been up to, but this one made me queasy and sad. :(

I'm glad you're going ahead with repairs. So many would just give up and part the car or, worse, send it to the scrap yard.

Good luck, Song. I'll be cheering you on from afar.
Ken, I appreciate your cheering from afar. I'm slowly getting over my queasy and sad feeling.

Folks on this forum know that we put a lot of heart and soul into these cars. I am hoping my frame is OK. If so, then it's a bunch of replaceable parts. If the body shop wants too much, it gives me reason to learn to weld! It can all be made into an exciting learning experience. I can do the paintwork and all the assembly. It's cutting out the bad metal, bending some bits and welding in the new metal that's new to me. But I'm game if it comes to that.

My biggest issue is that I am short on time. If the body shop doesn't mind it going slow, then I'm ok too. I just hope they aren't too spendy. I guess it's time to break out my Honda S2000 for a while (the garage queen).
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Song, glad to hear your OK. I've followed your project from the beginning. A great series of projects documented with
a pleasing narrative.

FYI, Elias Gergy
Lives in San Diego, California

He sells BMW 6 series parts. I've bought hard to find from him and was never disappointed.
You can only reach him through FaceBook.

Good luck, I hope the frame is not damaged.
Bob V
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Song - so sorry to hear about this. Good to hear you're ok and that you'll be repairing the car. Your thread is fantastic and you're an inspiration - well documented methodical bit-by-bit repairs and improvements. Always look forward to your latest posts! Good luck.

Scott
1988 M6
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Wow Song, so sorry to hear :cry:

I have been hoping that you would come out to some of the local events, like C&C at BMW of Mountain View [-o<

Hoping that you get her straightened out =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

86_6series wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:31 am Song, glad to hear your OK. I've followed your project from the beginning. A great series of projects documented with
a pleasing narrative.

FYI, Elias Gergy
Lives in San Diego, California

He sells BMW 6 series parts. I've bought hard to find from him and was never disappointed.
You can only reach him through FaceBook.

Good luck, I hope the frame is not damaged.
Bob V
Interesting, I am going to be in San Diego for a conference soon. I'm waiting for the body shop to give me a list of parts I'll need before I do serious hunting. I was supposed to hear from them today (6/3/22), but it's been quiet.

I appreciate your positive vibes. They will get me through this next challenge as well.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Sbeaud wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:48 am Song - so sorry to hear about this. Good to hear you're ok and that you'll be repairing the car. Your thread is fantastic and you're an inspiration - well documented methodical bit-by-bit repairs and improvements. Always look forward to your latest posts! Good luck.

Scott
Thanks Scott, I was even considering a manual swap... since it's going to be in the shop for a while, but I am getting ahead of myself. I'm glad you enjoy my shenanigans. This car has taught me so much and now it'll teach me some more. I'll keep the documentation going as we move into a new stage.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

GRNSHRK wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:54 pm Wow Song, so sorry to hear :cry:

I have been hoping that you would come out to some of the local events, like C&C at BMW of Mountain View [-o<

Hoping that you get her straightened out =D>
Bobbo! Hey, my car is in a shop in Mountain View. The owner is an enthusiast and was one of the few shops I called that would even entertain working on a 38 year old car. I think he tried to call a BMW dealer there for parts, but I told him to just make me a list and I would source them.

If only I had the space, I would even consider buying a donor car ...
In any case, I look forward to Cars and Coffee at Canepa's if they do it this year. Maybe we can catch up then?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Ouch. Sorry to see this. I am nervous with all the inattentive morons driving my daily service van, let alone the 6. Hopefully there is no(preferable) or minimal frame damage and you can get rolling again. Seriously, good luck. Your project has been inspirational and entertaining.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha Song.

Wow…just wow. First and foremost glad that you are okay. The car can definitely be fixed, just time and money. Neither of which we ever get back. :(.

As others have stated, I get excited when you post something but this one was heart breaking :cry: hope to see it back on the road and there is no damage to the frame.

Looking forward to your updates. Aloha and stay safe out there.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

That's very upsetting Song ,I'm glad that you're OK though . One never knows what is around the next corner ......
I have no doubt that you , with the energetic enthusiasm that you have ,will be able to repair the car .
I wish you well and success in getting it back on the road .
Good luck .
Don
1981 635 series 1
bm635csi

Re: Unplanned Bodywork - Yup, Accident.

Post by bm635csi »

songzunhuang wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:32 am It is with a heavy heart that I post these pictures. ...

I will have the car good as new...stay tuned.
That upsetting Song ,I'm glad that you're OK though . We been watching your exceptional build from New Zealand , and I am sure you will have it back .
///bm635csi
1989 E24 635CSi Highline
2003 E46 M3 SMG
2002 L322 Range Rover Vogue
1991 E34 535is
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Ouch!
Sorry this happened but glad you're fine.

Definitely talk to Elias Gergy, he'll take care of you for the parts needed. He is dismantling an '87 right now and getting ready to cut the car-up and send it to the crusher.