Clutch Master Cylinder Assistance

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

timteague

Re: Clutch Master Cylinder Assistance

Post by timteague »

I am preparing an edited write up for the remedial mechanic to complete the job. What is a straightforward job for many, was a backbreaking series of tedious maneuvers for me. 3 bolts, one hydraulic line coupler, and a hose, strightforwards, right? I will detail my experience in a few days when I'm back.
timteague

PRe: Clutch Master Cylinder Assistance

Post by timteague »

I am preparing an edited write up for the remedial mechanic to complete q1 the job. What is a straightforward job for many, was a backbreaking series of tedious maneuvers for me. 3 bolts, one hydraulic line coupler, and a hose, strightforwards, right? I will detail my experience in a few days when I'm back.
timteague

Post by timteague »

Finally getting back to write up my experience with the replacement of both slave and master. I learned that disconnecting the hard line from the bottom of the master cylinder was not as bad as reattaching it to the new one. (impossible to see if the fitting is mated correctly). So I took an idea from an E30 board and did it differently which made more sense to me. Rather than disconnecting the hard line from the master, I disconnected the hard line at it's first juncture down below, (not at the slave). Since everything was disconnected in the cabin, I was able to carefully fish out the hard line through the driver side footwell. A little tricky but with some twists and turns this was easy. ( of course had disconnected the supply hose at the reservoir, not inside the footwell on top of the master. Once the master and hard line were pulled out, it provided three advantages. 1) I could see the correct angle that the hardline was, in relation to the master, 2) I could easily attached the new master to the original hard line and 3) I could attached the hose to the new master. The last step was threading the hardline and the hose back through the firewall. This allowed an easy to see connection at the bottom of the hard line, and an easy fishing through of the hose to the reservoir. I hope that helps someone in the future.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

So glad I didn't have to go that far with my repair. The best advice, in my case, was to dismount the master cylinder as that allows for easier access to the ports. My repair required replacement of the plastic nipple for the supply hose from the Reservoir. Still a PITA as work space is limited

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)