Bilstein rear shocks

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bilstein rear shocks

Post by wattsmonkey »

Having researched this ages and ages ago when I put H&R's on the rear of the burgundy 635, I'm now putting Bilsteins on the rear of the black project car with the benefit of a bit more info in the hope that it might be of use to anyone else in the same position.

The different designations used by Bilstein don't help things!

Anyway, I've got Eibach springs on the black car, using the shorter bumpstops from the M635 on the rear, of course, and Bilstein B6 shocks. The ride and handling are absolutely brilliant with them, but there is a problem with the shorter springs insofar as they are prone to falling out of the perch when the car is jacked up.

The solution to this is - as documented elsewhere - Bilstein B8 shocks, which are 10mm shorter in length.

Since I last looked into this, there are now TWO B8 rear shocks to fit the E24:

The softer and cheaper 24-006071 (compression and rebound 160/80) recommended for smaller-engined cars like the E28 528i
The harder and pricier 24-007276 (compression and rebound 270/100) for the 535i.

The latter was fitted to my old burgundy 635, with M635 shocks up front and it was great, so I'll be looking at getting the same again.

At the time of writing, the best price is £140 each, but they are on backorder from Bilstein, with an expected delivery date of end of July.

I don't have the figures/numbers to compare to standard E28 M535i or M635CSi shocks, with the numbers on the shock bodies proving beyond my intellectual capacity to decipher!
Last edited by wattsmonkey on Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
TimU

Re: Bilstein rear shocks

Post by TimU »

Great minds think alike :)
I know you found it already, but I'm just going to shamelessly cross-link my post for anyone who comes across this in the future.

Bilstein and H&R Parts - Correct Part Numbers
viewtopic.php?p=234821#p234821
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Not sure what, exactly, is what with Bilstein B8s, but my 0727s have not arrived and I am told that they are no longer being manufactured - there is some stock remaining, somewhere (but not anywhere near me, apparently).

I've ordered the softer 24-006071 instead. This will be interesting - I've got E28 M5 sachs-spec arbs on my car, 25mm front and 18mm rear, so I'll see if I notice the difference. It means I'll have "harder" shocks up front than the rear, but needs must.
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

new billie 1.jpg
new billie 1.jpg (81.79 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
new billie 2.jpg
new billie 2.jpg (61.07 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
new billie 3.jpg
new billie 3.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Just arrived!

Not sure I've ever done a direct B6/B8 comparison before - but the last picture should show the identical shaft length, the "10mm shorter" B8 spec lying in the greater length of the threaded portion.

All a bit moot as the new ones have adjustable perches anyway, but here's to secure Eibachs in any case.
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

It's many many years ago, but probably only few thousand in terms of mileage, but I decided to change the rear dampers on my '88 635CSiA. And in my wisdom decided to go for the M635 version. Which was just fine except that I found that I was also going to need new springs as of different diameter (smaller I think), and had to change those too. But what really surprised me is that the ride height after the change seemed no different to how it was before.

Probably irrelevant to the current topic, but I thought I'd share anyway!!
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

It's funny you should say that Phil - I put complete M suspension on this car before changing to Eibachs because the ride height was comedically high.

In hindsight, I wonder if I should have waited for it to settle for a bit longer. The same M635 setup was perfect on my burgundy M30'd car and a cross reference showed the part numbers to be identical.

Having said that, the ride is really good with the Eibachs and the handling is good too.

Hope all's well with you,

Rob
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

wattsmonkey wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:46 pm It's funny you should say that Phil - I put complete M suspension on this car before changing to Eibachs because the ride height was comedically high.

In hindsight, I wonder if I should have waited for it to settle for a bit longer. The same M635 setup was perfect on my burgundy M30'd car and a cross reference showed the part numbers to be identical.

Having said that, the ride is really good with the Eibachs and the handling is good too.

Hope all's well with you,

Rob
Hi Rob

All good for me thanks.

This pics are with the M635 OE rear springs and dampers. Even when these were taken they would have had a chance to "settle" for around 15 years or more lol

Best wishes
Attachments
DSCN4347.JPG
DSCN4347.JPG (611.57 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
DSCN4346.JPG
DSCN4346.JPG (611.78 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
DSCN4217.JPG
DSCN4217.JPG (110.99 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
DSCN4172.JPG
DSCN4172.JPG (118.69 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I see what you mean! Beautiful car though.