What is this fuse box? 1987 L6

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

julianonline

What is this fuse box? 1987 L6

Post by julianonline »

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a 1987 L6; it was a barn find. It had been stored on an RV and Boat Storage in Dallas for more than six years, fortunately covered. I will post pictures of the car later.

The issue with the car was a no-start condition. Engine turns, and using a borescope, the cylinders are perfect. The car has 79K miles, original paint, and minor undercarriage rust.

I found that the car had a horrible aftermarket alarm, which included five modules and a lot of cables, and I hope that is why the no-start is.

I am removing the alarm system, which seems that is not a tremendous job. I am doing it little by little, documenting everything I find to ensure I am not tempering anything original in the car.

As I was removing the alarm wiring, I found this little fuse box next to the expansion tank, and looking on the internet, newer E24s have it, but I cannot find what it is for.

Would somebody enlighten me and explain the purpose of this box (number 1 in the image) and also, what is the purpose of the orange connectors (numbers 2 and 3) that I have also seen disconnected in many internet images of engine bays?

As always, thanks a lot for your support.

Best regards,
Attachments
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg (336.99 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
julianonline

Re: What is this fuse box? 1987 L6

Post by julianonline »

Sharing some images of the alarm system, horrible!
Attachments
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (1).jpg (196.1 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Last edited by julianonline on Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

The little box by the expansion tank is an auxiliary fused wiring connection. It's likely not connected to anything.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
julianonline

Post by julianonline »

Thank you Ken! Yes, I could not see connected to anything else. Appreciate your help! Have a great week!
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Just a wild guess, but have you tried putting a fuse into the holder at the bottom of the square showing #1?

That box #2 could be one of the ABS connectors?
julianonline

Post by julianonline »

Hi Pod, thanks a lot for your response. I had not seen it until now.

I figured it out. #2, in my picture, is a connector for an Impact sensor (part number 65771394319) used for the airbag on later models (88 and 89). My car is a 5/87, so it only has the connector, not airbags or sensors.

But you are right; the connector is similar to the one used for the ABS sensor.

I am still working on the car, and I hope I can start it next week. It has been a great project!

Thank you, everyone, for your support!
Attachments
635 airbag sensor and connector.JPG
635 airbag sensor and connector.JPG (137.51 KiB) Viewed 1002 times
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Good luck - let us know how you get on?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

First, a question :-k

When you turn on your A/C, does the aux fan turn on as well [-o<

The little double fuse box numbered 1 in your first photo are the fuses for the aux fan, or at least it is in my MY '80 :-"

I can't speak for the other questions/issues, but I would check your aux fan function for sure O:)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

hornhospital wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:35 pm The little box by the expansion tank is an auxiliary fused wiring connection. It's likely not connected to anything.
My 81 Euro had/has 1 which was used to power the aftermarket A/C
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
emac

Post by emac »

I have removed a couple of old alarm systems. If you can locate a manual somewhere, that can be a good start. Most of the systems disable a system, like the starter. So, a starter trigger wire will be cut and routed through the alarm. Just undo the alarm wires and reconnect the factory wires. Just take it one wire at a time. It really helps to know what factory wiring looks like, so if you have any doubt post up some pictures.

As others have said...In your picture the two fuses under the plastic cover are factory. Orange is air bags for 88. My 87 M6 is similar.

So many possible things could cause a no start. Going to be fun figuring it out!!