Front 'screen removal method (intact!)

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Front 'screen removal method (intact!)

Post by Pod »

Well...................... I've broken many E24s and only ever got one screen out without cracking it - and that was by cutting it out! Whilst getting through to the end of my most recent 'dismantling' I was trying to decide whether I needed an intact 'screen or mounting rubber. I knew I couldn't have both as the old mechanics' method of pushing it out with my feet, wearing rubbers trainers, had never worked for me. Since the 'screen has a small bullseye chip I was just about to sacrifice it when I thought I'd better check prices. GOSH! New windscreen £500+ EEK! New rubber £200+. Haven't prices gone up? ... and by the way, these parts are apparently only available from Latvia :shock:

So I decided to apply a little thought to the problem and worked out a way I thought may enable me to remove both components intact. Why not insert something behind the interior join of the rubber and 'screen? I was going to try some electrical cable, when I noticed the windscreen washer jet piping. Maybe that would work? I spent about twenty minutes feeding the pipe between the rubber and 'screen opening. Stood outside the car and put my hand around the 'A' post. I couldn't believe it - I could push the screen out with just some light pressure of my fingers!

Am attaching a few pics which may be of help to someone on this board.....................
Attachments
Before.
Before.
CIMG6518.JPG (179.71 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Piping inserted.
Piping inserted.
CIMG6514.JPG (162.28 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Almost there.
Almost there.
CIMG6519.JPG (172.4 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Lift off!
Lift off!
CIMG6520.JPG (173.14 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
Last edited by Pod on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
plip1953

Re: Front 'screen removal method (intact!)

Post by plip1953 »

So are you now suggesting that it's possible to save both the screen and the rubbers?

Many, many years ago (ie last century!!) I got something sharp stuck in or on a wiper blade and it created a nasty score mark across the arc of the windscreen. My insurance company accepted the claim for a new screen complete with rubbers and inserts and I'm pretty sure the quote was over £600!! Anyway I decided to have my friendly local guy do the job, and he only charged around £400, but I subsequently found out that he'd re-used the old rubbers and inserts. After the event I regretted not have the rubbers done too, mainly because I thought new ones would look better, but even to this day the original ones still don't look at all bad.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

plip1953 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:08 pm So are you now suggesting that it's possible to save both the screen and the rubbers?
Absolutely :wink:
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Great thinking Pod. I can put this to good use.

I see though that the hose is between the rubber and the body. As opposed to your description of having the hose between rubber and glass. Still worth the 👏

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Ralph in Socal wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:58 am I see though that the hose is between the rubber and the body. As opposed to your description of having the hose between rubber and glass. Still worth the 👏

Ralph
Correct - I have amended my description :wink:
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige