Transfer pump removal

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kentonius

Transfer pump removal

Post by kentonius »

Hi
I'm replacing a rusted fuel tank on a UK 1989 635csi and by following Bentley I've got the tank out and need to swap the transfer pump into the new tank.
Bentley says there will be bolts holding the transfer pump to the tank, but I'm faced with no bolts and what looks like a locking ring as per the photo.
tf pump.jpg
tf pump.jpg (209.72 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Couple of questions please.
is there a clever way to remove this without a specific tool
if it's a locking ring which way does does it turn - assume lefty-loosey like a normal thread?
given the apparent age of the pump/tank should I just replace it?

Thanks
emac

Re: Transfer pump removal

Post by emac »

I went through this a couple of years ago. I believe there are two types of pumps. One bolts down and one twist lock. Twist off is normal direction. Spray ppenatrating lube and tap with a punch. Harder part may be finding a replacement, they were tough to get for a while and sometimes you would get the wrong style!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

lay a screw driver across the pump on the top. There will be enough places (tangs) where you can do this. Turn the screw driver with a pair of pliers and it should un screw. Had to this on my car so I know it will work
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
kentonius

Post by kentonius »

Thanks for the advice
Pumps now removed and reinstalled on the new tank