Chrome Mirrors

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mousemaster

Chrome Mirrors

Post by mousemaster »

I have noticed that some cars have 'chrome' faces on the side mirrors while others are painted to match the exterior color of the car.

How did they originally come from BMW? My 88 M6 and 89 635 are both painted. Neither paint matches the car correctly so I had the 635 repainted. The M6 will get repainted mirrors probably next year.

This is a shot of the M6 passenger's mirror.
Attachments
citrus 016.jpg
citrus 016.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 4875 times
snowshark

Post by snowshark »

It is probably just oxidizing of the paint. My e30 ix is the same color and the mirrors turned pink!
euro24

Post by euro24 »

My 1990 325is came with body colored mirrors.
My 1987 325es came with black mirrors.
My 1985 635csi came with chrome mirrors.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

My guess would be that BMW started going with colour-coded mirrors at the same time as the introduction of world-bumpers (which are the '87-build, '88-'89 production years), as the world-bumpers did away with most of the chrome of earlier bumpers in favour of the late-80s trend toward colour-coded external trim.

I think the '86-year model introduced the Shadowline which replaced most of the external chrome with black, and this included the mirrors, but in terms of BMW doing actual colour-coding I'd say its just '88 E24s onwards.

I'm sure though that many of the bodykits and accessories available in the day from Alpina, Zender, Hartge etc. featured colour-coded mirrors, but they're not strictly from BMW.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

amibuggnu wrote:My guess would be that BMW started going with colour-coded mirrors at the same time as the introduction of world-bumpers (which are the '87-build, '88-'89 production years), as the world-bumpers did away with most of the chrome of earlier bumpers in favour of the late-80s trend toward colour-coded external trim.....
The M635CSis had colour-coded mirrors from the start (1984/5).
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

horsetan wrote:
amibuggnu wrote:My guess would be that BMW started going with colour-coded mirrors at the same time as the introduction of world-bumpers (which are the '87-build, '88-'89 production years), as the world-bumpers did away with most of the chrome of earlier bumpers in favour of the late-80s trend toward colour-coded external trim.....
The M635CSis had colour-coded mirrors from the start (1984/5).
Correct about the M635CSi :D

Sharkfan
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Yeah, Matty's M635's got colour coded mirrors and is an 86ish model car.

My 89 and Gregs both have chrome mirrors. Go figure!

Out if interest Ellis, they one up on the central coast - colour coded or chrome?
mousemaster

Post by mousemaster »

Well the basic question here is there a specific factory directive on mirrors? Both of my Sixers have terrible paint on the mirrors. It faded with a slight purple hue. This led me to believe they were painted with American produced paint. The German paint hardly fades especially in Cinnabar.
euro24

Post by euro24 »

Perhaps they did it randomly, just to puzzle us 20 years later?
alpinacsi

Post by alpinacsi »

mousemaster wrote: The German paint hardly fades especially in Cinnabar.
I have seen the worst fading with the cinnabar. The items painted with flex agent will turn pink and even some of the main panels will get chalky even with the original finish. Since it is single stage it can usually be buffed to remove some of the discoloration.
euro24

Post by euro24 »

alpinacsi wrote:
mousemaster wrote: The German paint hardly fades especially in Cinnabar.
I have seen the worst fading with the cinnabar. The items painted with flex agent will turn pink and even some of the main panels will get chalky even with the original finish. Since it is single stage it can usually be buffed to remove some of the discoloration.
+1
sauber

Re: Chrome Mirrors

Post by sauber »

My M635CSi has exterior mirrors in car color. I want to repaint them. I've read half the forum and I haven't read anywhere that the colored cover can separate from the black part around the mirror. Can someone help me how to repaint the mirrors? Paint without tearing? :-k
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Is this the oldest-ever resurrected thread?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Nearly 15 years, it's got to be close.

I'm just glad that sauber searched and bumped it instead of just starting another thread. Props to him!

As to the question, realoem.com shows the mirror body as one piece. We know the body is 2+ pieces, but how they come apart isn't shown. I'd hate to break one trying to pry it apart. If someone has a stray one in poor nick, maybe they could give it a go to see how they come apart? :-k
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

hornhospital wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:07 pm Nearly 15 years, it's got to be close.

I'm just glad that sauber searched and bumped it instead of just starting another thread. Props to him!

As to the question, realoem.com shows the mirror body as one piece. We know the body is 2+ pieces, but how they come apart isn't shown. I'd hate to break one trying to pry it apart. If someone has a stray one in poor nick, maybe they could give it a go to see how they come apart? :-k
I'll have a dig-around this weekend to see if I have any damaged units.