Clutch Bleeding - BMW Factory Method

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Sbeaud

Clutch Bleeding - BMW Factory Method

Post by Sbeaud »

I recently flushed/bled my brakes, including the clutch, but my pedal is not firm and is actually dropping sometimes. I used a pressure bleeder. Looking at the factory procedure they note to connect a "bleeder". Based on the procedure it sounds like the bleeder is a pressure bleeder. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks

Scott
BMW Factory Clutch Bleeding Procedure.jpg
BMW Factory Clutch Bleeding Procedure.jpg (93.82 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
1988 M6
emac

Re: Clutch Bleeding - BMW Factory Method

Post by emac »

Most likely some kind of pressure device. Clutches can be tricky.

This is the best method I have used. Works every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdf--suwqw0
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Thanks for the feedback. Reverse bleeding seems to be a popular choice. I'm in "nomad" mode - sold the house and am roaming looking for a place to settle and almost all the tools, including my pressure bleeder, are in storage. There's a cars and coffee type event next weekend where I'm staying so I may just put a note on my dash asking to borrow a local's pressure bleeder. I'm partial to pressure bleeding. I think reverse bleeding runs the risk of introducing debris from the slave/brake cylinder back into the system. Not likely, but it's a risk that pressure bleeding minimizes.

Thanks!

Scott
1988 M6
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

I followed the YouTube video posted by emac and it worked perfectly.
emac

Post by emac »

Glad it worked for you!

Last weekend a buddy called me and said he was using a Capri bleeder to flush brakes and clutch on his e39 M5. Capri is a vacuum style bleeder that runs off of air pressure. Nice unit, that works great most of the time. He said something went wrong and the clutch was dead. I told him to reverse bleed it and that fixed it right up. Its a great trick.
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

So now I’m in trouble. Been having clutch issues. Started when I replaced some brake lines and therefore bled the brakes and clutch with a pressure bleeder (now tucked away in storage). After bleeding it seemed ok, then over time with successive pedal strokes the clutch would release less and less until the pedal would remain on the floor. I could slip my toe underneath the pedal and “flip” it back up. Second attempt was with a (borrowed, slightly wonky) vacuum bleeder and that got the clutch pedal mostly back up. But then over time the same thing happened - pedal eventually on the floor. I bought a cheap vacuum bleeder and attempted the same thing. Initially I made some progress (was still having some leakage on the vacuum), the pedal improved. Then I addressed the vacuum leakage and pulled quite a bit more fluid than I intended, but the fluid was quite clear and bubble free so I was optimistic. Went to try the pedal and it flopped to the floor with no resistance. I tried some additional bleeding, but no change. I’m perplexed. Is this a case where I need to remove the slave and cycle it per the BMW factory manual, or something like this youtube video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5WQCgUjDc

Kind of stuck here. I’m in a rental and the garage holds the owner’s car and a golf cart (cart is for our use). I pulled the cart out to do the work on my car in the garage, but now it’s not moving without some hoop jumping (starting in gear, etc., etc.) that I really don’t want to do. The owner has asked that the cart be stored at night!

Everything looks ok with the pedals and pedal mount, so I’m thinking my next step is to do the slave cylinder cycling. For that I will need to go buy some sockets (stored!), so I’m done for tonight.
1988 M6
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I believe your problem is the master cylinder, not the slave. Is there any sign of leakage from the slave, i.e.fluid coming from the bottom of the bellhousing? If not, the master is failing.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Ok. Dodged a bullet. Overnight (for some reason) the pedal improved. It had about 2-in of travel. Then, after purchasing a single 13mm 6 point deep socket I did the BMW manual recommendation of removing and fully compressing the slave cylinder. Reinstalled and have about 80% of the pedal stroke. Drove around a bit and it seemed to stay consistent, so at least I'm mobile and can get the garage back in order.

Ken, to fully address the issue I may need to do a rebuild/replacement of the master cylinder, but for now I'm going to drive it. There was no leakage anywhere that I could find.

Thanks

Scott
1988 M6
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Scott, I hope it continues to work! I'd be cautious, since it may go 'dead' again at the least opportune time. Good luck!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"