M62 engine - Power Steer pump query

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BrentNZ

M62 engine - Power Steer pump query

Post by BrentNZ »

Hi all,

I'm currently fitting a M62B46 into my 86 RHD E24, numerous items to be solved :) but one I'm dealing with currently is with the power steer system.

I'm planning to keep the factory Steering box, have removed all the ABS, Fluid Reservoir, DS Regulator Pressure reservoir, Tandem Hydraulic Booster Master cylinder to do the initial engine install.
I'm using a Remote Brake booster setup from a E34 with some mods to get it up in the front left corner behind headlight, also planning on relocating the ABS pump there too.

I've read posts about the past B30 pump is a Positive displacement continuous flow with very high pressure (1565-1705 PSI) which is reduced when steering in Neutral position and bypassed back to the reservoir.

As I will be running the M62B46 Power steer pump with a Max pressure of 1911PSI what else would be required from the old system?
Or is the M62 Pump clever enough to vary the Fluid pressure based on demands?

I'm thinking;
Fluid Reservoir to PS Pump
PS Pump to DS Regulator
DS Reg to Steering Box
Steering Box to Fluid Reservoir

Does the DS Regulator work without having the Pressure reservoir attached?
And because I'm not using a Hydro Boost Master cylinder anymore I doubt the Pressure Reservoir would operate correctly.

Would love any advise or suggestions of what is required so I don't overheat the Fluid or burnout a pump :)

Brent
akluminus

Re: M62 engine - Power Steer pump query

Post by akluminus »

Hey Brent,

Sorry I can't help you on the power steering pump, but I wanted to reach out because I'm in the middle of an m62b44 swap as well. Perhaps we should stay in touch - I haven't posted here, but started a build log on bimmerforums.

I'm looking into removing the steering box in favor of a rack currently to make more room for headers and to get the engine lower. It looks like it has to be quite a bit up for the starter to clear the steering on the passenger side (at least on my left hand drive).

Did you have to modify the transmission tunnel? It seems the ridge in there is really holding up ideal engine placement, at least using the getrag 6 speed transmission.
BrentNZ

Post by BrentNZ »

Hi,

yeah great... can you please pm the build link... can't seem to find it on the bimmer foroum.

I'm Right hand drive, I shifter the starter to my passenger side to clear the steering box and allow some header room.
I've tried the X5 headers, chopped them to bits to try and make them work... there is no way... I'm going to get some custom headers made, I also think they will increase HP quite a bit... the X5 headers are a joke... choking engine big time.

I did look at the rack swap, interested to see how you go with that... I know here in NZ it would be a mission to get approved through the certification system so avoiding it if possible.

I haven't mounted the gearbox yet.... very close though... I've made most of the bracket ready for positioning and welding... Currently have the whole rear subframe out to replace bush's and rebuild the LSD so need to wait for that to go back in.

Currently fabbing stuff up for relocating the ABS pump, remote brake booster and remote oil filter.

Keen to hear other bits you've sorted as we will be tackling the same stuff.

Brent
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I have no idea if this will be of any help. The attached is a file regarding the e24 (among others) hydraulics. You may be able to find similar for an M62 application and use both to figure out what needs to happen in your case.

If nothing else it is a very informative in depth document on the hydraulic system.https://www.dropbox.com/s/s66j1nd05fb27 ... m.pdf?dl=0
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

It's here:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/show ... ed-633-CSi

Yeah, I'll continue to post, not a lot of people in the world doing this particular swap right now. :)

Right, so the RHD vehicles would have the steering box and the starter on the same side to start with, I could see that not working at all space wise.

On the headers, yeah, I've decided to build out a completely custom set. The plan is to actually try to make all these parts I'm building resellable for the community. I'm probably about a month out from starting on the headers.

Today I'm separating the transmission and going to massage (hammer) the ridge in the trans tunnel out of the way. I think if you have a 5 speed it might not be as big of a deal.

Aaron
BrentNZ

Post by BrentNZ »

Thanks Aaron,

I've just had the Header plates CNC, should get them in a week.
Currently waiting for a bunch of parts from USA... so going to be slowing going for a month :(

Should get the rest of the different brackets and mounting sorted before parts arrive.

What Radiator do you plan to use? The factory E24 will still fit fine, I thought perhaps just add a SPAL fan at the front to help with cooling.

Brent
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Not completely sure on the radiator yet. I had an e39 one from the parts car but it's too wide to fit between the frame rails. My donor engine is a m62tu, so it has the newer push on quick connect radiator connections instead of the hose clamp retention styles. It also means it has the water cooled alternator.

These looked like a good contender for all aluminum aftermarket:

https://wizardcooling.com/series-4272-1 ... iator.html
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I have a wizard cooling rad with a single Davies Craig pusher fan, no clutch fan, shroud or air/con, ecu controlled, works well. They will modify within reason, like I had no need for the factory temp switches so got the bosses deleted.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Not to get too far off topic, but you asked about the radiator. Zionsville built me a custom e24 one with all the m62 connections and expansion tank.

I need to feedback to them the mounting tabs were slightly wider than stock but otherwise the fit and quality is totally there.

Aaron

Attachments
PXL_20230923_211659918.jpg
PXL_20230923_211659918.jpg (3.53 MiB) Viewed 987 times
BrentNZ

Post by BrentNZ »

Nice job.... good idea with the expansion tank... I've picked up a new Alloy radiator that was perfect for fitment... just need to sort the two fittings which is pretty straight forward. Mounting tabs also fitted on sides.

Will get some pic;s also
akluminus

Post by akluminus »

Looking forward to pictures.

Back on topic, I went over the power steering parts this morning. I think the e39 pump is close enough in pressure that I'm thinking of just connecting them as-is. Actually it seems they are both 130 bar on the labels. Think that will be a problem? Guess we'll see.

The e39 return line has a restrictor built into it that should be retained. I'll measure it after I cut it out and post the diameter.

The other steering item I was trying to figure out the lines. I think what I'm going to do is buy banjo to AN-6 adapters (https://www.agscompany.com/products/m14 ... 1454&_ss=r , they have all the metric banjo sizes sizes needed) and make a set of lines using Aeroquip high pressure fittings and their stainless PTFE line. Looks like it will be good to 2500 PSI operation.

One thing I found that might help is the e34 steering box is a drop in replacement, and it's in/out port locations are on the top, instead of the return line pointing directly into the exhaust port.
BrentNZ

Post by BrentNZ »

Yes, I came to the same conclusion of just direct fitting the M62 pump as well... looks like a small mod to the supply line from bottom of pump and the rest looks like using the M62 hoses where possible.

I'm hoping to drop car to Exhaust guy in a few weeks.... that is the last major fab work... will test him :)