Starter is not starting car with key.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

SixerNick

Starter is not starting car with key.

Post by SixerNick »

I have a 1985 635 CSI with a manual gear box. The car is not starting with the key most of the time. I can start it via jumping the solenoid. I need to determine if the fault is in the starter unit or the ignition switch. What is the best way to determine? If I’m getting power to the Solenoid at start would that suggest the starter or could it still be a loss of voltage from the ignition switch or?
RossDinan6

Re: Starter is not starting car with key.

Post by RossDinan6 »

I pulled out my '84 ETM, can't tell you if there is a difference for '85. If a manual voltage goes from the battery through the switch straight to the starter (bk/yl wire). Auto runs through a start relay controlled by the transmission range switch then to the starter solenoid through the same bk/yl wire.

So, you need to check for voltage out of the start switch, out of the start relay if present, and at the starter. I have read here and elsewhere the switches can be problematic.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
smtguy

Post by smtguy »

I'd suspect the ignition switch, and least that is what it was on my '83. Not alot of fun to replace as you have to drill out the "security" screws to get it out; otherwise it is straightforward.
Best of luck!
1983 Bronzit 633CSi 5 speed
2004 Audi TT Quattro 6 speed

Scott
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

+1 on the ignition switch. Mine had the same issue.
One thing you can check is cranking the starter by jumping a few pins (11 &14 - if I recall correctly) on the diagnostic port. When my switch was failing I would use this jumper wire technique to crank up my car for the drive home. Basically put my key into the ignition switch and turn to “run” position. Open hood and jumper the pins to crank the starter and start the car. It was annoying but held me over until I could replace the ignition switch.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I'm enjoying the same right now. If your car is the fine spline column then I'm pretty sure it's an easy job. The ignition switch is clipped to the back of the barrel.

If it's the fine spline column, then the switch won't come out without grinding clearance to pass the webbing. Then it's just a case of removing the teeny grub screw.

You shouldn't have to remove the lock barrel itself (drilling out the security screws and all) if you're only changing the switch.

I'm not sure when the changeover to fine spline is, but here's what I have had to do on my '84 coarse spline car.

For info - spare column with webbing intact
IMG_0681.JPG
IMG_0681.JPG (4.03 MiB) Viewed 451 times
This much needs removing
IMG_0680.JPG
IMG_0680.JPG (4.06 MiB) Viewed 451 times
To get to this
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG (3.35 MiB) Viewed 451 times
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess