US/CAN to EU bumper conversion - quarter panel trim

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

BottleNoseShark

US/CAN to EU bumper conversion - quarter panel trim

Post by BottleNoseShark »

Hello Hello,

I am rounding out my winter project (although it's june, but you know how these things go). I've done a complete handling refresh (Control arms, ARB's, H&R lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, Tie rod and steering link pieces etc).

Anyways, not the point - I am also doing a euro conversion and the bumpers are currently in the shop getting restored/painted. For these quarter panel trim pieces, I still have the big US trim pieces, but I'm wondering if there's an alternative. bottom half of the quarter panel almost has a textured paint, so it is fairly obvious where the line is. I'm considering filling the body, and paint matching, or finding some euro trim pieces and trying those.

Anyone have experience, an opinion, or a do/don't for this case?? For more info, the bumper came off of a 78' Euro, getting transplanted onto an 86' US. Check the photo for what I'm referencing. Ideally, The US trim pieces would be great if they can go back on, but finding info on this has been difficult for me so I don't know if that's a path worth going down.
rear quarter panel.jpg
rear quarter panel.jpg (156.46 KiB) Viewed 213 times
North American 86' 635CSi Platenengrun Metallic :mrgreen:
Jubilados

Re: US/CAN to EU bumper conversion - quarter panel trim

Post by Jubilados »

I don’t understand your question, but it is odd to put a Euro rear bumper system from a ‘78 onto an ‘86.

The Series I (‘78) rear Euro bumper is very different than the Series II (‘86). IMO you’d be better off putting the correct Series II bumper on your car.
BottleNoseShark

Post by BottleNoseShark »

Sorry for the late response.

Here in Canada it's incredibly difficult to find Euro bumpers - these are the ones I found so I jumped on em. I fabricated mounts, did the measurements, so all should be good.

My question is surrounding the trim piece on the rear quarter panels - where the holes are. Since it had the beefy US trim, I'd prefer not to use them again. I am trying to get some info from anyone who has done a euro conversion in the past / knows about euro conversions, and what my options are for the quarter panels. I can always fill the holes and paint match, but since the rest of the car has trim it might look a little wonky.
North American 86' 635CSi Platenengrun Metallic :mrgreen:
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Personally, I wouldn't put an E12 based Series 1 bumper on a Series 2 car..Euro or not.

There is a fair bit of body work and hole filling if you go this route.

I've been down this road a time or two. Euro Series 2 bumpers are available, you just have to be resourceful and pay the additional for shipping from the US or Europe to Canada.

Even if you install Euro Series 2 bumpers on a Series 2 US \ Canada big bumper car there is lots body work by itself.

Here is some R&D I've done in the past.
Rear Euro Bumper  5.JPG
Rear Euro Bumper 5.JPG (868.25 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Rear Euro Bumper  7.JPG
Rear Euro Bumper 7.JPG (826.75 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Rear Euro Bumper  8.JPG
Rear Euro Bumper 8.JPG (697.79 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Rear Euro Bumper  1.JPG
Rear Euro Bumper 1.JPG (958.42 KiB) Viewed 54 times
Yasin

"ole skool, I wouldn't have it any other way"
Slownrusty