glass sunroof E24 factory equipment

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Scotty b

Post by Scotty b »

Newbie warning :shock: I just stumbled across this thread while researching the sunroof removal for an Alpina conversion I have in my shop. It is an E24 with a glass roof. ASC manufacturer out of Michigan. I have no idea yet if this is " factory " or a VERY well made aftermarket out in early in it's life, but it is extremely similar to an E46 sunroof I worked on lat year, except I can't figure out how to get this one out. Judging by two of the support brackets I am assuming it is aftermarket. The car has been gutted so no electronics are working. My next step is to straight wire the motor with a battery. I need it out to finish up the body work. I'll get some pics up of the whole assembly for future reference and will do a short write up on how to remove it IF i ever get it figured out. FWIW, according to the owner, this car is supposedly one of the first 635i's into the U.S. Pics possibly tonight [-o<
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome, Scotty!

AFAIK , there was no factory option for an E24 glass sunroof. The one in the car you are working on is obviously an aftermarket piece. Really interested to see the pictures!

You said that the car you have there is supposed to be one of the first 635CSi's in the US. What's the last seven digits of the VIN? The US 635s began at VIN 0605001 on or about Sept. 15, 1984. Mine is 0605256, build date Oct 1, 1984. It was supposedly on the first boatload to the US.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Scotty b

Post by Scotty b »

Well ,I finally got it out and as you said Ken it is an aftermarket unit, just a damn well made one. It is a cartridge style setup very similar to the factory setup I have worked on before. FWIW I'm mainly a Porsche shop so while I have worked on a few BMW's, I am not as familiar with them as you guys. Pulled the VIN and the car is a '77 630 CSi not a 635i as I erroneously stated #-o 5505151. I have several pics of the sunroof and can post them later when I have better internet connection. As you can see the car has been a bit of a project :wink:

Last edited by Scotty b on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

Somebody is very attached to their car. But it is nice to see that someone thinks enough of it to do the restoration properly.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
Scotty b

Post by Scotty b »

I ended up working late last night so here are the pics of the sunroof.

KINGJOHN808

Re: glass sunroof E24 factory equipment

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha all.

I know this is a very old thread but does anyone have any info on a glass top or any other pictures? No longer concerned with the electronics and inner working of the top.

Just would like to have a “drop in” glass top with frame that allows me to be able to “vent” or “remove” when out and about. Mahalo’z in advance.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
anchored

Post by anchored »

I did a bunch of research on this a while back. never got anywhere. I was told there is a volvo that is plug and play but I took my tape measure to the yard and could not find any of the 80's and 90's ones with the same dimensions. I am sure I missed one though.

the e28 shared one with a saab so don't let that one confuse you.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Mahalo’z anchored. I kinda figured as much but was hoping I missed a post or something along those lines.

I’ll keep looking for the required parts but at this point, the parts I find are almost 40 years old like mine and used. My biggest fear is finding the parts online only to receive them in the same condition as mine “broken” or “unusable”

Have a great day! 🤙🏾🤙🏾
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”