Those pesky squirters II -revenge of the squirter...

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Amazon has the Oetiker 9.5mm and the Ideal-Tridon pliers to close the ear clamps.

Would any of these check valves work?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-8-check-valve
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

3/8" (10mm) is way too large. IIRC when I checked my nozzle fitting with a micrometer they were ~4 or 4.5mm, and they're a very tight fit for the OEM hose. I haven't even clamped mine, but I probably will, just to get the correct original appearance.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

humble.bees

Re: Those pesky squirters II -revenge of the squirter...

Post by humble.bees »

A belated addition to the confusion.

My 635 is a February 89 manufacture and the washer bottle has two motors. One supplies the screen along with the concentrated supply and its motor and the other, with the bolt in the feed, just supplies the headlight washers.The 89 electrical manual does not refer to the set up as far as I can see.
My particular issue is that the headlight washers run permanently so I'm assuming it's the washer wiper switch that is the issue. Everything else on the switch is fine and yes it does siphon down very quickly without a check valve. Can anyone confirm my suspicion?

Thanks David
IMAG0190.jpg
IMAG0190.jpg (371.96 KiB) Viewed 10209 times
IMAG0189.jpg
IMAG0189.jpg (411.84 KiB) Viewed 10209 times
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

The problem is that the R/H wiper motor is NOT in the park position. The power to that washer pump comes from the R/H motor when it comes off the park position. If you check the plug you will see it has 4 wires while the L/H motor plug has only 3.

Do a search on here as there are multiple posts about this topic.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
humble.bees

Post by humble.bees »

Brilliant, thank you ron I hadn't even thought of that. I've been trying to extract the headlight assemblies and it is quite an origami exercise. I'll post again when I've dug further. What a set up!

David
IMAG0100.jpg
IMAG0100.jpg (841.5 KiB) Viewed 10205 times
dwcains

Re:

Post by dwcains »

sansouci wrote:Amazon has the Oetiker 9.5mm and the Ideal-Tridon pliers to close the ear clamps.

Would any of these check valves work?
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/3-8-check-valve
Bumping an old post, but I've found this check valve works great in the w/w system. My car has the intensive, but no headlight wipers, so it required two:

https://www.amazon.com/ACI-399004-Winds ... heck+valve
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

note of caution; very many check valves appear to work OK (or work OK-ish) in the windscreen wiper system. However very many check valves are flawed in one or both of these two respects

1) check function leaks.

2) no anti-siphon function.

The first of these will usually simply cause the pipework in the bonnet (hood) to drain down over a period of a few days. You can tell if this is happening because the first time you use the system, there will be a small delay and it'll likely spit and burp too. This is mostly just annoying. However depending on where the valves are installed, it is possible that the intensiv reservoir might empty itself into the main reservoir (or vice-versa).

No anti-siphon function might cause the intensiv reservoir to empty itself as per above, but it will also definitely cause the headlight washer system to empty itself, i.e. the main fluid reservoir will simply empty itself via the headlight washers, usually in the space of a day or two.

The anti-siphon function works by having a spring preload to the check valve, i.e. the check valve won't pass fluid in the 'flow' direction unless the pump is running and provides a positive pressure head. The preload is intended to be sufficient that the static pressure head (the fluid level in the tank is above the headlight squirter nozzles) isn't enough to open the valve.

Maybe the valve linked to in the post above is 'good' in both respects, but if so it would be an exception; most aftermarket valves do not have the required qualities for use in this system.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

So far, so good. They've been in the car since about mid-January, and working fine. You're absolutely correct that not all will work, as these are the second ones I've installed. The car came with a few new ones in the trunk, of unknown origin, which I tried first, and the lines always drained back into the reservoir after a short while.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Well done Brucey,

I was going to ask about the way the clear pipping are connected and routed. Was'nt sure if the intensive pump pipping was connected to the headlight wipers or just the windscreen jets. You have answered all my questions on that.

Thanks.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Thread resurrection....

Over the years I've probably had the headlamp wash/wipe assemblies from my car out on the bench several times and as far as I know (without actually trying them) they are still working!

But before I consider validating this assertion I believe the Brucey advice is to temporarily remove the wiper arms, which makes sense in case I've somehow got them in an incorrect parked position.

Then will come the moment of truth and I will either be punching the air for joy or sink into deep depression and wished I'm left everything as it was and simply continued to believe all was good!

Anyway, the main point of posting is that I'm aware that there is a delay mechanism built into the operation of the wipers such that they cannot be operated either continuously or brought into action repeatedly on a very frequent basis. But is there a good reason for the delay and just how long should that delay be on a fully working system? Did I read somewhere that it around 15 secs? But is that a consistent and invariable interval, or is it based on some kind of thermal cutout arrangement or equivalent?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
TimU

Post by TimU »

Thanks Brucey. This was very helpful.

Part numbers for the BMW OEM Check Valves are:

61661380464: Single Head Check Valve
61661355299: Dual Head Check Valve
16131379229: BMW Hose clamp D=8-9.5MM:

RealOEM Page
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 1661355299
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Installed new OE squirters after OE ones broke while disassembling for paint.
Don’t remember if both worked prior but one does not work now so in process of redoing system .
According to Brucey diagram one hose from each tank,main and intensive ,goes to a valve then splits to each squirter,one hose off each valve to a squirter. So in end you have an intensive hose and a main hose to each squirter.
Am I reading that right???

As I disassemble mine, I have a single direct feed from each tank to individual y splitters(not a valve ) n both feeds off splitter go to a same squirter. Sooo I have two feeds from intensive to one squirter and two feeds from main tank to another. Which is not right according to Brucey diagram.
No valves on either line.
88M6
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Anyone?
Purchased two OE valves and want to put this chore behind me. 61661355299

Where would these valves go along the line? Closer to tanks or closer to squirters?
Per post above question: would each valve have a feed to each squirter?
The xx299 is one feed in two out.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

On my 86 US car they are located in the hood cutouts.
diag_417.png
diag_417.png (96.37 KiB) Viewed 678 times
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
88m6

Post by 88m6 »

Thanks, yes I guess it makes sense they be closer to squirters, if not,I’d be running four lines up thru the hood.
Not sure if these are even that necessary as my M6 was born without them but since I’m redoing the setup,what the heck.
I’ll post back once all together to report.