Wollombi Pub Run 28th June 2014

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Paul Humpage

Wollombi Pub Run 28th June 2014

Post by Paul Humpage »

How about a nice drive for lunch at the Wollombi pub up in the Hunter? Saturday the 28th of June. Normally when we go to the Hunter we go up the Putty Road from Sydney but to make this a more sedate drive, especially as us Sydneysiders will be driving home in the dark i suggest meeting just off the M1 at Peats Ridge Road by the Walkabout Park spot. From there we'll go up on the route noted and after lunch we can do whatever we want, i'm not fussed. We could go to newcastle for an afternoon cuppa or somewhere with a view of the ocean or we just go home. If anybody from up that part of the world wants to lead us down roads that are new to us then that would be very welcome indeed. After all Google Maps suggests it will only take us under an hour to get to the pub and if we meet at 10 then we don't really want to be there before 12.

So the only bit locked in would be....

Saturday the 28th of June, 10 a.m, Peats Ridge Road turnoff of the M1 somewhere close to the Walkabout Park. Lunch at the pub at Wollombi

Ridiculously long Google Maps link below.

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=P ... 5&t=m&z=14

*edit. That link isn't too long after all which is a welcome change. They normally don't fit on the page.

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Just keep the drives coming all year. close to sending car off for all repairs. I'll be in from July onwards with luck.

Josh
StephenW

Post by StephenW »

I'm in. I might go via Wisemans Ferry and Mangrove Mountain and turn right onto George Downes Drive and go to the meeting point from the North
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Sounds good Paul. Looking forward to it.

Regards,
Ellis.
TrevorB

Post by TrevorB »

Hi Guys,
Wish I could come but I'll be in Nowra for a footy carnival.
Have fun and plenty of pics.
Cheers
Trev
StuM5

Post by StuM5 »

I have noted this date down, if the shitbox is NOT at the engineers i will be there!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Trevor, I know you have your local colloquialism, but, just what is
a 'footy carnival??' :wink:
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Australian Football, Greg.

http://wamastersfooty.com.au/index.php? ... &Itemid=43

Is your Google broken? :wink:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

GripGreg wrote:Trevor, I know you have your local colloquialism, but, just what is
a 'footy carnival??' :wink:
Greg
This is my favourite search engine

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=footy+carnival
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul, sounds like a plan, I should be there.

Just a thought - the road from Wyong to Wollombi is quite picturesque, probably better from west to east, but beggers can't be chosers or something like that.

http://goo.gl/maps/X79w0
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

WOW!
You're both totally right! :mrgreen:
And I ask people to check things before asking questions here!! #-o
Good wake-up call!! :wink: :oops:
Thanx,,,,Greg
Ps,,,,See,,, I can take it! 8) What choice do I have? I need & enjoy you guys! =D>
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Greg,

We keep you around as a punching bag.

:lol: Just kidding, buddy. :wink:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Well, I'm good for something & I'm on your mind! :wink:
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:Paul, sounds like a plan, I should be there.

Just a thought - the road from Wyong to Wollombi is quite picturesque, probably better from west to east, but beggers can't be chosers or something like that.

http://goo.gl/maps/X79w0
Yep, that looks a bit of a better run.

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

If getting more kms under the belt is the aim, why not do a loop to cessnock, pokolbin, broke and then back to wollombi. Turns the run into 3 hrs. You could leave the Pacific Highway alone and do the first run Paul noted and bring the run back to around 2.5hrs.

Last Sunday I was on the old Pacific Highway with Rosie and the baby as we had to get off of the F3 due to baby issues and a stop needed. As we were driving along the old Pacific Highway a few rice-burners (gtrs, silvias, supra's et.al) rocketed by. 5 mins later we see a front spoiler (the entire front nose) of a car under the opposite guard rail. Then 300m down the road all of the rice-burners are lined up with a steaming supra minus nose-cone in the front.

Elis could have taken that corner 20km faster while hanging out the window and looking backwards to take photos!
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

A lot of guys think all they need is a noisy exhaust, a lowered car & wide tires to make up for the automatic trannys!! :roll:
Most don't even know how, why or when to downshift. #-o
I saw that very thing happen in front of me! Pathetically funny! :oops:
Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Shipper 01 wrote:If getting more kms under the belt is the aim, why not do a loop to cessnock, pokolbin, broke and then back to wollombi. Turns the run into 3 hrs. You could leave the Pacific Highway alone and do the first run Paul noted and bring the run back to around 2.5hrs.
Bloody hell! A good idea from Josh! :D

I also noticed the Short URL option in Google Maps (why on earth isn't that the default?) so we end up with this lovely drive.

http://goo.gl/maps/X8QCN

Regards
Paul
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

It is indeed a good idea! I'd do it clockwise because every other time I've been through Paynes Crossing has been from north to south.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

crap, now I want to do the run. I'll chat to my gorgeous wife. We may need to do it in a mazda 3 diesel as it has the baby seat. Is that permissible????

Oh, and ya just gotta check out young Isaac. He smiles and giggles at everyone! I'll let Dmitri know the runs on as we often chat.

Josh
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Shipper 01 wrote: Ellis could have taken that corner 20km faster while hanging out the window and looking backwards to take photos!
Bloody oath mate, I'm that good!

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I wonder what has happened to Andrew, he seems to have joined that ever growing list of "6er drivers we meet once and never see again". I think the drives i organise are some kind of Bermuda Trangle.
AndrewHolt

Post by AndrewHolt »

Bermuda Triangle indeed.

I'm really sorry I couldn't make the last run as a dear friend of ours passed away on the Sunday before and we had his funeral on the Friday before. I'm now planning to be at the run on the 28th - we were due to go to see a band that afternoon/evening but that was cancelled last week.

By the way, when I turn the ignition on I seem to get a buzzing noise from the boot area. Its not overly loud - just a gentle background 'hum'. Should my wallet be worried? Fuel pump on the way out maybe??

See you on the 28th.
Andrew
Andrew

1986 635CSi
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Good to see you haven't been sucked up by a close encounter of the 3rd kind to return in 50 years time to find your 6er has rusted away. Be good to see you again later this month.

I get a buzz or hum too now and then and have done since i've owned the car, i always thought it was something to do with the diff but that was just guesswork as the sound comes from the boot area. Nothing seems to have gone bung though. Perhaps it is just the natural hum of the fuel pump as i assume they make a noise of some kind and like all of us our ears prick up at a noise we're not expecting?

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

sounds like the fuel pump. Mine does it. Even a performance fuel pump is cheap-ish so does not sound like a big dollar item. Next time you get it serviced swap it out.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Shipper 01 wrote:sounds like the fuel pump. Mine does it. Even a performance fuel pump is cheap-ish so does not sound like a big dollar item. Next time you get it serviced swap it out.
Question. Does the fuel pump sit in the tank itself or is it just in close proximity and is fed by a short length of pipe?

Showing my ignorance here clearly. :oops:

Regards
Paul