front side window rubber seals

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

deacs

front side window rubber seals

Post by deacs »

Is it possible to buy new rubber seals for the front side windows. I believe they are commonly called scraper seals. the ones which basically rub against the window glass as you raise/lower the windows.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: front side window rubber seals

Post by ron »

deacs wrote:Is it possible to buy new rubber seals for the front side windows. I believe they are commonly called scraper seals. the ones which basically rub against the window glass as you raise/lower the windows.
You cannot buy just the rubber. I have tried everywhere but no joy. Not sure if the alloy channels with the rubber crimped in are still available but they were over £120 each!

FYI The rubber section is different front and rear.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I THINK the answer is that they are only available new complete with bright trim attached from BMW for a zillion dollarpounds each.

I cannot believe that there is isn't an equivalent or indeed that BMW saw fit to equip the E24 with a unique profile scraper seal that would for eternity thwart owners from preventing their doors and sill areas from rusting .
but then again ....... :-k

Both my sides are shot , I have one good replacement set but still short of the RH side trims and all the breakers I have contacted have either not responded or replied that their's were shot too.
Good Luck.

Edit
Ron beat me to it ............
Last edited by olympia57 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

What year is your car? Auto /Manaul? RHD? Location? :-k

These all factor into the answer. You need to put your info in a signature and/or profile. Click on the profile button above while you are logged in to add the info.

Have you checked out this Posting for links to Factory WorkShop Manuals, Wiring Diagrams (ETM's), Factory Parts Catalogs, parts Suppliers etc.?:
viewtopic.php?t=10410

You can look up the part number for the seals in the parts catalog and then do a parts search on a suppliers website. I'm guessing that the seals would be a "Dealer" part and you would have to search one of the online dealers like getbmwparts (there are several listed).

Having said that, I believe that they are (or at least were) still available but only as part of the assembly with the chrome strip which made them quite expensive, IIRC?

I believe it was Bert over on Bimmerforums that made a run of just the rubber seals but he may be out and I don't know if he had any more made. ( I'm not sure if Bert is on here also?)
deacs

Post by deacs »

Yes I have looked on realoem and bmwfans but the catalog pic isn't exactly clear in terms of which but is actually the window scraper.
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

I found mine in a Pik-A-Part on a 528i!! I had to trim the length to fit with some larger tin snips, but it looks good installed.
Measure twice, cut once! One cut is all you get! Make triple sure.
In fact, I think I looked at everything five times. One cut is all you get!
Good luck,,,,Greg

OOPS! I thought I was on the firstfives website again! :mrgreen:
Last edited by GripGreg on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

GripGreg wrote:I found mine in a Pik-A-Part on a 528i!! I had to trim the length to fit with some larger tin snips, but it looks good installed.
Measure twice, cut once! One cut is all you get! Make triple sure.
In fact, I think I looked at everything five times. One cut is all you get!
Good luck,,,,Greg
Could you post a photo of the finished item Greg ?
Cheers.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

deacs wrote:Yes I have looked on realoem and bmwfans but the catalog pic isn't exactly clear in terms of which but is actually the window scraper.
Ifwe had your car info we could look it up and try to help you? :-k 8)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

I think you are looking for # 51211873461 and 51211873462 left and right.

This is the exterior trim with the rubber wiper strip and I believe it is interchangeable for all years. The early ones were different but the part was superseded around '80

BertP offered these a few years ago as a reproduction rubber only piece and you would reuse your existing bright trim.

Not sure how you could use this from an e28 as the doors are much shorter. Would be interested in seeing how this works.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Rubber not available separately. Years ago, I was having identical,die extruded rubber to match the originals. I ran out of them and never had more made. I was the only source doing this world wide.

I have to order them in quantities of 10 sets. So if 10 guys step up, I will do them for $150 a pair providing the fellow who made the dies for me still has the dies and and extrusion machinery and is still "kicking"
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
ericono

Post by ericono »

Where exactly does this rubber go? Anyone have some pictures so I can better understand which rubber we are talking about?

Thanks,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

It is attached to the bright work trim that goes on the top edge of the door and stops water running down the door glass into the door itself. It acts as a squeegee
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

ericono wrote:Where exactly does this rubber go? Anyone have some pictures so I can better understand which rubber we are talking about?

Thanks,

Eric
Here you go ......
deacs

Post by deacs »

Surely there must be some alternative, it can't be that complicated. How do you go about removing them from the car. Il take one to work with me and see what we can knock up. I work for a luxury yacht building firm and we often have to conjur up some weird and wonderful fixes and creations
ericono

Post by ericono »

Olympia,

Thank you, those pictures are perfect. Now I have to look at my car...
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Are these not available new from BMW?
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

sharkfan wrote:Are these not available new from BMW?
Yes. but they are $138 Each ($276/pair)

BertP was selling just the rubber for $75 ea. ($150/pair)
madman

Re: Can these be reproduced?

Post by madman »

bpoliakoff wrote: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:50 pm Rubber not available separately. Years ago, I was having identical,die extruded rubber to match the originals. I ran out of them and never had more made. I was the only source doing this world wide.

I have to order them in quantities of 10 sets. So if 10 guys step up, I will do them for $150 a pair providing the fellow who made the dies for me still has the dies and and extrusion machinery and is still "kicking"
Hi Bert as per your original quote you managed at one point in time to reproduce these rubbers. Can you still do that if we manage to have a group buy?
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

1981 635 series 1
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Can these be reproduced?

Post by bpoliakoff »

Hi Bert as per your original quote you managed at one point in time to reproduce these rubbers. Can you still do that if we manage to have a group buy?
[/quote]

I am not doing them anymore. Contact Syd on this forum.He is doing really nice ones
madman

Post by madman »

Thanks will do. I appreciate your continued support.
635 CSI Black 1989
New paint
New leather seats
BBS RS 285 18" Rims