ABS SENSOR / BOSCH PART NUMBER?

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DRPM635CSi

Re: ABS SENSOR / BOSCH PART NUMBER?

Post by DRPM635CSi »

85mvdelphinus wrote:I ordered and received an ABS Speed Sensor from Intermotor that may work. It's part number ABS1541 and can be found at the below link:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/int ... icle=false

The wire length is 28 inches and appears to have the correct connector. I have an appointment August 17 for installation so I won't know until then. It listed for $135.99, less 20% discount, plus 8.25% CA sales tax or net price of $117.77. Photo attached.
It does say it's a straight fit for the front of an E24. Please get back to this thread with confirmation if it does work without modification. I'll buy a couple too, if you say it works.
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

I'll definitely post the results of the August 17 installation. I'm hoping to have my ABS brakes back for my 225 mile round trip run to the Legends of the Autobahn in Monterey on August 18.
1985 635CSi 5MT Delphin Grey/Pearl Beige

Does a guilt free shark have a feeling of remoras?
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

I have good news to report. The ABS sensor was installed today and the "anti-lock" warning light went out immediately. It was a straight "plug and play" install. The wire was a little short but easily resolved by re-routing.

I just ordered a second sensor for my LF wheel since it's also in poor condition.

I'll now feel a little safer for my early morning drive down to Monterey for Legends of the Autobahn.

DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

85mvdelphinus wrote:I have good news to report. The ABS sensor was installed today and the "anti-lock" warning light went out immediately. It was a straight "plug and play" install. The wire was a little short but easily resolved by re-routing.
How much shorter from the ones you took out was it? Can you put them alongside each other and give us a number?
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

The wire (excluding connector at each end) was 28 inches in length. I don't know the length of the OEM sensor but I can have it measured once it's removed (I'm waiting on delivery of LF sensor).

ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Please could someone in the US order me 2 as the vender will not ship outside US.

Can Paypal funds to include shipping,beer etc.

T.I.A.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Sure Ron,

PM me the details and I'll order & ship for you.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

I need help too please. Would any US native be willing to help me out please? This is by far the hardest retailer I've ever seen to buy from. They really, really don't want to take money from anyone outside the US. You can't sign up as a new user without a US mobile number they send an SMS code to. Without registering, you can't enter a home address and without a home address you can't complete checkout. On top of that, they don't post outside the US and don't accept payment by non-US issued credit cards (though strangely they do seem to accept PayPal).

When you go looking for a contact e-mail address to ask what to do, you quickly find they don't publish one, so there's seemingly no way to contact them either. I've never seen a company so determined to not take my money before.

I have an address in Glendale, CA to ship to and I can remit funds by PayPal to anyone in US who can help.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 am
85mvdelphinus wrote:I have good news to report. The ABS sensor was installed today and the "anti-lock" warning light went out immediately. It was a straight "plug and play" install. The wire was a little short but easily resolved by re-routing.
How much shorter from the ones you took out was it? Can you put them alongside each other and give us a number?
IIRC a shorter wire is the only difference between the (available) E28 front sensor and the E24 sensor. If the parts are coming with shorter wires they are probably the E28 part.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:19 pmIIRC a shorter wire is the only difference between the (available) E28 front sensor and the E24 sensor. If the parts are coming with shorter wires they are probably the E28 part.
My thinking too. Unfortunately I was never able to test the theory because the Intermotor part from Advance Auto Parts turned out to be a vapourware unicorn made of unobtainium. As soon as you went to place an order for showing stock, the stock level would reset to zero and your order would be cancelled.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I think I got the last one from Advance. Many thanks to Bob (86_6series) for all the help in obtaining it.

It is 14" shorter overall.

E28 #s

Bosch #:- 0 265 001 029.

BMW #:- 34 52 1 154044.

E24 #s

Bosch #:- 0 265 001 038.

BMW #:- 34 52 1 179981 (was 154064)
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

ron wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:33 am I think I got the last one from Advance. Many thanks to Bob (86_6series) for all the help in obtaining it.

It is 14" shorter overall.
14"!! Wow, that's a lot more than I was expecting. Were you able to make that work just with some re-routing of the cable to make up that 14" lost length without risk of fretting the cable stretching it too tight through the various grommet entry/exits?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 pm 14"!! Wow, that's a lot more than I was expecting. Were you able to make that work just with some re-routing of the cable to make up that 14" lost length without risk of fretting the cable stretching it too tight through the various grommet entry/exits?
Not had a chance to try it yet. Will report back.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

would this work?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-8133 ... -bmw-part/

although it is pricey.

Not much consolation for those with zero soldering skills or decaying wiring, but I have successfully grafted ABS sensors onto wiring harnesses but soldering the wires and waterproofing the connection properly.

IIRC the E24 plug and socket is zip-tied to the scuttle panel. If instead the trailing plug on the wiring loom is pointed downwards, and secured properly, it might be possible to use a sensor with a shorter wire.

cheers
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Brucey wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 pm Not much consolation for those with zero soldering skills or decaying wiring, but I have successfully grafted ABS sensors onto wiring harnesses but soldering the wires and waterproofing the connection properly.
Where did you get the right cabling harness from to do this please?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:34 am
Brucey wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:53 pm Not much consolation for those with zero soldering skills or decaying wiring, but I have successfully grafted ABS sensors onto wiring harnesses but soldering the wires and waterproofing the connection properly.
Where did you get the right cabling harness from to do this please?
from an old sensor.

cheers
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Splicing in new cable seemlessly should not be too much of a problem for those with enough motivation to have working reliable ABS, but we need a source for the right cable. Bosch aren't going to help. I've already tried that route and it was a dead end. I have a brand new rear E24 sensor in a box here. On the cable is printed the number 1 154 045.a as the only identifying mark. Does that mean anything to anyone?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am Splicing in new cable seemlessly should not be too much of a problem for those with enough motivation to have working reliable ABS, but we need a source for the right cable. Bosch aren't going to help. I've already tried that route and it was a dead end. I have a brand new rear E24 sensor in a box here. On the cable is printed the number 1 154 045.a as the only identifying mark. Does that mean anything to anyone?

That number is the last 7 digits of the BMW part number 34521154045.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... 4521154045
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

DRPM635CSi wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am Splicing in new cable seemlessly should not be too much of a problem for those with enough motivation to have working reliable ABS, but we need a source for the right cable. Bosch aren't going to help. I've already tried that route and it was a dead end. I have a brand new rear E24 sensor in a box here. On the cable is printed the number 1 154 045.a as the only identifying mark. Does that mean anything to anyone?
I posted a source of cables previously. It's just shielded cable, nothing fancy.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
85mvdelphinus

Post by 85mvdelphinus »

I had the left front ABS sensor installed today. The OEM sensor had an overall length of 45" and the new Advance sensor was 30" long. My mechanic had to modify the wire harness and stretch it in order to reach. He rewrapped the harness with cloth tape and reattached the harness to the body. No splicing or soldering required. About 1.5 hours labor. (see rewrapped harness photo).
Attachments
Rewrapped harness.jpg
Rewrapped harness.jpg (210.01 KiB) Viewed 16167 times

DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Ouch! 45" down to 30" huh. Glad I missed out on those Advance Intermotor sensors in that case.

I'm now resigned to having to extend the cable lengths of some other sensors to get my fronts working again. So here's the next question for that plan: What's the cheapest ABS sensor model that will fit from any other BMW/Mercedes/Porsche etc. that Bosch produced with the correct size/shape strut proximity sensor to suit the front struts of an E24?

Obviously the cable length and plug type on the end is completely unimportant as that will all be cut off and replaced with the existing ones from my sensors in the car right now in order to only have one cable splice join instead of two. We know the E28 front sensors are the closest all-round equivalent, but is there an even cheaper option from some other model that used the same proximity sensor on the end to fit the E24 front strut mounting location?
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

This is the BMW part # from this manufacturer

(Intermotors/Standard) for the models listed.

BMW 528e (88-84) BMW 535i (88-85)BMW 535is (88) BMW 635CSi (89-85)BMW 735i (86-85) BMW M5 (88)BMW M6 (88-87)

I was able to get the last one in the US for Ron. I talked to the

production guy and he has no idea when they'll make more.

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/int/#/vehicles
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

Does anyone know or can check if the rear E24/E28 proximity sensor is the same as the front one? ie. if completely disregarding cable length and termination plug on the end, is the rear ABS sensor of an E24/E28 identical to the front ABS sensor? Reason for asking is that rear sensors are significantly cheaper than front ones. As long as I'm cutting the plug and cable anyway to lengthen it, there's no point in spending more money than necessary just to get the right shape/size proximity sensor to go in the strut the correct distance from the trigger wheel.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

The rears are different to the fronts and they are handed left and right.
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
DRPM635CSi

Post by DRPM635CSi »

ron wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:25 am The rears are different to the fronts and they are handed left and right.
Only post late '86 they are. Before that they're the same part number.

Edit: Unfortunately the E28 substitution/modification option is now out as the E28 front sensors are now also NLA everywhere with no plan for a reproduction run. It seems all E24s & E28s are destined to eventually have no more ABS.