BMW announces classic Mini EV conversion program

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

BMW announces classic Mini EV conversion program

Post by Jlc »

BMW has announced a (UK) conversion program for classic Mini's that turn them into an EV https://bimmerlife.com/2022/01/29/bmw-a ... ssic-mini/. The process is fully reservable per the announcement.
So if BMW offered the same for our Sharks, would you do it, assuming cost I snot an issue. I admit I'd be tempted..
85 635CSi Bronzit
Austintatious

Re: BMW announces classic Mini EV conversion program

Post by Austintatious »

Jlc wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:10 pm BMW has announced a (UK) conversion program for classic Mini's that turn them into an EV https://bimmerlife.com/2022/01/29/bmw-a ... ssic-mini/. The process is fully reservable per the announcement.
So if BMW offered the same for our Sharks, would you do it, assuming cost I snot an issue. I admit I'd be tempted..
It depends on the cost and the power and range. If I could electrify my 6 to perform like a tesla, yea, I would do it, in a hearbeat. 2 sec to 60 mph, yeap!

but if the performance is measly and it cost 15 or 20 grand, Ill take a 500 HP MM turbo engine instead.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

I'm with you on that. I saw recent MT show where they visited a a SoCal shop that did EV VWs and Porsches. They definitely were in the Tesla range and pricing was not outrageous. Of course, one advantage for VWs and Porsches is the entire drivetrain I in the back so it's a basically an all in one swap I a space already designed for an engine. They use Tesla motors and custom control systems. Now, if a Tesla motor would fit in the rear of a 635 along with a modified VW transmission, or a Tycan setup...
85 635CSi Bronzit
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Jlc wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:08 pm I'm with you on that. I saw recent MT show where they visited a a SoCal shop that did EV VWs and Porsches. They definitely were in the Tesla range and pricing was not outrageous. Of course, one advantage for VWs and Porsches is the entire drivetrain I in the back so it's a basically an all in one swap I a space already designed for an engine. They use Tesla motors and custom control systems. Now, if a Tesla motor would fit in the rear of a 635 along with a modified VW transmission, or a Tycan setup...

Here is what we need.... 4 of these https://autos.yahoo.com/koenigseggs-tin ... 00255.html

335 HP each... put one on each wheel! Then fill under the hood and the front area of the trunk with batteries!

1340 hp and all wheel drive... that would make for some fun driving!
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Austintatious wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:32 pm Here is what we need.... 4 of these https://autos.yahoo.com/koenigseggs-tin ... 00255.html

335 HP each... put one on each wheel! Then fill under the hood and the front area of the trunk with batteries!

1340 hp and all wheel drive... that would make for some fun driving!
At 63 lbs and small size four could be fitted to the rear alone with a reduction gear setup.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

With the calculators I have played with... assuming you could get traction, a 4400 lb car with 1400 hp would go from 0-60 in about 1 second and from 0-130 mph in about 5 seconds. That would be quite the launch!
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Austintatious wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:11 pm With the calculators I have played with... assuming you could get traction, a 4400 lb car with 1400 hp would go from 0-60 in about 1 second and from 0-130 mph in about 5 seconds. That would be quite the launch!
and 0 to 500 feet AGL in 10 seconds...
Hold my beer...
85 635CSi Bronzit
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Jlc wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:10 pm So if BMW offered the same for our Sharks, would you do it, assuming cost I snot an issue. I admit I'd be tempted..
I shudder at the thought. Converting any classic car into a glorified milk float is sheer vandalism IMO 🤮
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Pod wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:41 am
Jlc wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:10 pm So if BMW offered the same for our Sharks, would you do it, assuming cost I snot an issue. I admit I'd be tempted..
I shudder at the thought. Converting any classic car into a glorified milk float is sheer vandalism IMO 🤮
I get it. My feelings are if it is the only way to keep it on the road, well, I would do it, especially if BMW offered it.
85 635CSi Bronzit
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Why? Electrify everything and there is no electricity. The numbers don't work. The grid would crash if this pipe dream comes to fruition. Especially with the huge push to 'renewables'. With enough nuke it could be possible, maybe.

It ain't about 'green' since electric cars only move the tailpipe emissions from the car to the power plant. They also trash the environment digging for the raw materials necessary for the batteries.

I'll continue to load mine with 93 octane thank you very much.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

RossDinan6 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:07 am Why? Electrify everything and there is no electricity. The numbers don't work. The grid would crash if this pipe dream comes to fruition. Especially with the huge push to 'renewables'. With enough nuke it could be possible, maybe.
It's a question of how the load is distributed. Charging at night during non-peak times may just meaning running base load plants longer to handle the land. Add in solar chargers for home use and one demand could be handled that way. I agree it will change load profiles but with smart charging it won't be unmanageable.

As demand for electrical power increases we'll need to transition to a smarter grid, managing load and with dynamic pricing.
It ain't about 'green' since electric cars only move the tailpipe emissions from the car to the power plant. They also trash the environment digging for the raw materials necessary for the batteries.
Yea, "green" needs to take in the end to end impact, not just one part.
I'll continue to load mine with 93 octane thank you very much.
I plan to as well but would not discount conversion if it means keeping it running. The in performance would be a nice side effect; even if it means just a two speed transmission.
Last edited by Jlc on Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

We had some pretty bad storms in The UK over the past week. Power lines were down for several days in many places, all over the country. Many owners of milk floats and golf buggies were complaining they could not charge their vehicles (shame :lol: ). All I need is a couple of spare cans of petrol in the garage and I can drive around \:D/

Just my 2c :wink:
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Pod wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:49 am We had some pretty bad storms in The UK over the past week. Power lines were down for several days in many places, all over the country. Many owners of milk floats and golf buggies were complaining they could not charge their vehicles (shame :lol: ). All I need is a couple of spare cans of petrol in the garage and I can drive around \:D/
Yea, gas or petrol is hard to beat for availability, storage and energy density. It's not like you can have a spare battery pack in the garage like a set of AA for a flashlight or torch; not that I'd want a torch around gasoline. Somehow, a recording of a vintage BMW straight six reving would just not be the same; even if the car was 2x as fast.

Gas shortages are pretty rare, and the last one we had was due to panic buying when a pipeline went down; which is very rare. At least it gave idiots a chance to make the news like the person who filled plastic bags with gas, tossd them in an SUV and proceeded to burn it up.
Shouldn't be 2p now that you are no longer in the EU?
85 635CSi Bronzit
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Jlc wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:28 pm
Shouldn't be 2p now that you are no longer in the EU?

Ha ha. I've always regarded it as part of the 'Transatlantic' currency as it's really an All-American phrase as far as I'm aware :lol: