Door chrome trim does not line up with the body

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jsisas

Door chrome trim does not line up with the body

Post by jsisas »

Hi,

So I have an issue where the driver-side door chrome trim does not align with the rest of the body. At first, I thought its the issue with the chrome trim being bent or the driver side door not regulated to the proper depth. And I thought the same with the passenger door.
Today me and my body mechanic figured it out that the driver's door is already configured to be the most inside it can be. When the driver door chrome trim is pushed it comes nowhere near looking like it could fit with the rest of the body.
On the other side, we also figured out that the passenger door is not aligned with the body and can be configured to be more "inside" and aligned with the body, so the passenger side door issue should be easy to solve.

The problem is with the driver's side door. I can't figure out what's wrong with it. Has the door been in the accident? Maybe I can configure the door to be more inside? I am out of ideas and I am afraid that the new chrome trim would not fix the issue. Since when I push the chrome trim inwards, then unlike the passenger door, the drive door chrome trim comes nowhere near being aligned with the body.

Any ideas on what to check or what to do next?

Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/q2yMUq2C1HGFoT4f9
BMW E24 635CSI
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: Door chrome trim does not line up with the body

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

The glass may need to be adjusted. Does the glass fit into the body weather striping? Does the body weather stripping push on the glass. I recall a write up on the subject of adjusting the door glass alignment, in/out direction. I'll try to locate it.
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
jsisas

Post by jsisas »

I added new pictures about alignment.
I dont think the glass is pushing either side.
BMW E24 635CSI
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I think it's a simple fix - your door doesn't look out of whack, but the chrome appears to have come adrift at the rear. Wind the window down, pull the rubber back and see if the chrome has pulled free of the retaining screw at the very back and lifted off the clips.

Probably easiest to remove the mirror and the front screw and see what's going on .

Good luck, and fingers crossed for the easy route!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
jsisas

Post by jsisas »

I checked the screws and clips, they are in place properly.
But turns out there is a small "curve" on the chrome trim which I hadn't noticed before. Seems like someone tried to pull it of, outwards from the window, not upwards. The curve is 3cm from the end of it. I am not sure if I can bend it back or should I just throw some money at it and buy a new one.
BMW E24 635CSI