Clutch noise in neutral

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

msoft

Clutch noise in neutral

Post by msoft »

My 635 from 79 with a 5-speed dogleg was sitting for 20+ years before I bought it and now when I start driving it again, I notice the following:

-First engine start of the day, everything sounds normal, i.e. no noises.
-Once I press and release the clutch once, I hear a rattling noise from the clutch/gearbox
-When the clutch is pressed, the noise goes away.
-When released, noise is back.
-It is a bit hard to put in first gear and maybe second, but otherwise when driving I hear no noise.

Could this be due to that the the grease on the splines has hardened so that the clutch disk doesn't go all the way back to engage fully with the flywheel but when sitting over night, the pressure plate slowly moves it into position?
plip1953

Re: Clutch noise in neutral

Post by plip1953 »

msoft wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:49 pm My 635 from 79 with a 5-speed dogleg was sitting for 20+ years before I bought it and now when I start driving it again, I notice the following:

-First engine start of the day, everything sounds normal, i.e. no noises.
-Once I press and release the clutch once, I hear a rattling noise from the clutch/gearbox
-When the clutch is pressed, the noise goes away.
-When released, noise is back.
-It is a bit hard to put in first gear and maybe second, but otherwise when driving I hear no noise.

Could this be due to that the the grease on the splines has hardened so that the clutch disk doesn't go all the way back to engage fully with the flywheel but when sitting over night, the pressure plate slowly moves it into position?
This kind of noise would be typical if you had a multi plate clutch, but in that instance the rattling noise occurs when the clutch is depressed. All I can think of in your case is that you have a failing clutch release bearing.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

^^^
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Plus 2, although I thought it was called the throw-out bearing :-k

Bottom line, this is one of those "while you're in there" repairs that once the tranny is out, you are going to wind up replacing all of the clutch components #-o

And don't forget the needle bearing in the end of the crankshaft :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Noise goes away when the clutch is depressed and returns when the pedal is released. The TOB is not in contact and therefore not moving/turning when the pedal is released so not likely the TOB.

Also not likely a stuck grease issue as the forces involved, along with the minimal length of travel, can overcome that scenario. If the input shaft and clutch disc hub mating surfaces were rusted together then you could possible have the slow movement

The clutch fork basically "floats" on the tube extension of the transmission. It moves to engage the TOB with the pressure plate when the pedal is depressed. The clutch fork pivots on a plastic pin that is opposite of the slave cylinder. The plastic pin is a known wear item and I suspect is your likely culprit. The tip of the plastic pivot wears down so that the fork will not move forward as much as necessary and makes shifting a little bit harder. The fork, though it is floating, has a spring retainer to maintain its proper location. A worn pivot can cause the fork the vibrate in place as the spring is not able to keep it tight against the pivot. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
msoft

Post by msoft »

Thank you for your input! Forgot to mention that the clutch slave cylinder is new.

I think I will drive the car for a while to see if the noise goes away but soon remove the transmission anyway and go through the clutch components. Is it complicated to replace the crankshaft needle bearing?
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Crankshaft needle bearing is more typically called the Pilot Bearing. Old style with felt, dust washer and separate needle type bearing has been superceded by a one piece sealed bearing. Much easier to install

I remember someone having difficulty as there's usually a removable spacer between the crank and the bearing shell that has to be removed to fit the new style sealed bearing

Replace the rear crank seal while it's accessible

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Deffo the release bearing.
msoft

Post by msoft »

Status update: The gearbox noise in my case was due to a bad bearing inside the gearbox. It is now completely renovated (all bearings replaced) and completely quiet.