Wheel Spacers and Hub Centric Spacers

Post in this forum for topics relating to tires and wheels

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Sbeaud

Wheel Spacers and Hub Centric Spacers

Post by Sbeaud »

Lots of info on wheel spacers, but not to the specificity I need. My situation: Rotated the wheels front to rear to assess whether there was a wheel-based issue with a shimmy I was experiencing. There was a difference, but the point is moot now since I replaced the tires. But the issue I encountered was with the wheel spacers.

1988 BMW M6
Style 5 17X8 wheels, ET20
Wheel Spacers: 10mm, Rogue Engineering P/N WSPACER10MM
Hub Centric Spacers: 74.1-72.6 Hub Centric Ring, ECS Tuning P/N ES#4423641

I removed the wheels/tires to replace the tires and discovered that both front wheel spacers had broken at the hub ring. I’m not sure what would have caused this. Any thoughts?

Also the situation raises some questions.

You can see from the pictures that the previous owner modified the hub centric spacers. It appears that this is because as delivered the combination of these hub centric spacers and the wheel spacers result in the wheel spacer not sitting flat against the wheel mounting face. Do all wheel spacers face this issue?

I’ve already purchased replacement spacers, but I’m wondering if there are 10mm wheel spacers that incorporate the 72.6mm vehicle hub OD and a 74.1mm wheel ID (therefore not requiring a separate hub centric spacer)? I see some 15mm ones from H&R, but they replace the wheel bolts with studs/nuts.

Thanks

Scott
BMW Style 5 ET20 wheel and hub centric spacers.jpg
BMW Style 5 ET20 wheel and hub centric spacers.jpg (281.38 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
BMW Style 5 ET20 wheel and hub centric spacers-1.jpg
BMW Style 5 ET20 wheel and hub centric spacers-1.jpg (207.79 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
1988 M6
plip1953

Re: Wheel Spacers and Hub Centric Spacers

Post by plip1953 »

On a quick search I came up with these

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/333266914359?ha ... R6DhhdD1YA

Obviously 20mm is no good to you, but if there's a 20mm version with the centre bore step you are needing then I guess someone will do a 100mm version.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi